Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two Installs of XP

• Please log in to reply

barryharper

barryharper

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I had bother with my XP machine this morning as it was saying my hal.dll file was corrupt or missing. I tried various options that meant no reformat. What I ended up doing was installing XP a second time on a different directory. This allowed the machine to boot up, which in turn allowed me to copy my personal Outlook file and personal files to CD.

I now want to delete this second copy of XP so that I can try some of the more risky repairs on the original (I have still got many programs that are stored with the first install of XP that I want to keep, I will be reinstalling for hours if I have to stay with the second install).

I am trying to get access to the first install through the repair console but it keeps taking me to the second install, which works fine - it is the initial install I want to work at? Does anyone have any idea of how to get access to the first install???

Barry

Advertisements

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
why not keep the second install if its working ok?