Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost internet connection

• Please log in to reply

lasal

lasal

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I was trying to clean my sons' laptops and was following step 1 nicely. second scans were coming up clean. Before I was able to proceed with step 2, I lost the internet. I was using wireless and changed to ethernet cable - but it keeps telling me it is unable to renew ip address. They have McAfee and we have Verison DSL. Can the updated malware protection be blocking internet access. I have tried to disable firewall and disable mcafee virus - but still unable to renew ip address. any suggestions???

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to start by going into device manager and making sure that all the networking devices have the correct drivers. Do any of them have yellow question marks? If they're OK, then go to the network connections and make sure the devices have the proper protocols installed. You want TCP/IP for certain. Then do any configuration that needs to be done.

lasal

lasal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
my device manager shows everything ok. Today I was able to connect with ethernet cable to modem - don't know what was different than last night (?). Still unable to connect via wireless router which we have been using for months. not sure what to check. tried unplugging a while and repairing, etc. still unable to connect via wireless. any suggestions on what to check? Thanks