Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont turn off !

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I am having a problem that occured recently occured .... When i want to turn my computer off it will not turn off. It closes all my windows and programs then just stays on desktop and doesnt do anything. I tryed ctl+alt+del but that will not show on desktop i also tryed clicking on the turn off button again and it doesnt do anything .........

Operating system : XP SP1
Hard Drive : SATA Maxtor
Mobo : ABIT N-F7 2.0

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it go off if you hold the power button in for 10 seconds

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Disable the Microsoft AutoUpdates and see if that does the trick for you!!

Murray

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If the above advise by Keith and Murray does'nt do the trick, follow the steps below:
Start -> Run.
Type: eventvwr.msc.
Press <enter>.
After the "Event Viewer" is open.
Go through the Application, System and Security Logs.
In the right-pane of the window, you will have various events.
Can you check if you have events with event-no. 1517 or 1524 with source as Userenv and at the same time as you shutdown your PC.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Does it go off if you hold the power button in for 10 seconds

View Post

Yes and latly that is how i have been having to turn it off ..... it is most certainly not a prefferable way to turn it off but is the only way to turn it off. And like you say i do have to hold it for bout 10 seconds then it will turn it off.

** Also i have autoupdate off always ! Never use it !

*** Ok i went to run and did what youu told me and all i c is ....

Application | Log | Application Error Records | 128.0 Kb

Security | Log | Security Audit Records | 64.0 Kb

System | Log | System Error Records | 448.0 Kb

I dont seem to see any event numbers .....

Edited by Mr.Chow, 23 August 2005 - 10:53 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To check for a couple of things, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

To check for a couple of things, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

View Post

I will most certainly try this !

Thank you for the time !

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
You can continue after you finished following Keith's advise and the problem still persists.

*** Ok i went to run and did what youu told me and all i c is ....
Application | Log | Application Error Records | 128.0 Kb
Security | Log | Security Audit Records | 64.0 Kb
System | Log | System Error Records | 448.0 Kb
I dont seem to see any event numbers .....

View Post

Application, Security, System are the names of the logs, you were suppose to open them (double-click on them) and follow the instructions in my previous post.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
ok i double clicked on all three items you wanted me to ..... it says that Application is corrupt, Security there are no items to show, System is corrupt.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Maybe the Event Log service is off.
Follow the steps below, to enable it:
Start -> Run.
Type: services.msc.
Press <enter>.
Check if the StartupType of the Event Log Service is Automatic; if not, double-click on it to open its properties dialog, from the StartupType drop-down menu choose Automatic and also click the Start button in the same window to start the service.

Now perform a shutdown and follow the instructions in Post#4 again.

Advertisements

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Start -> Run.
Press <enter>.
Check if the StartupType of the Event Log Service is Automatic; if not, double-click on it to open its properties dialog, from the StartupType drop-down menu choose Automatic and also click the Start button in the same window to start the service.

View Post

I checked the event log and it was already on automatic.

* Can a computer automaticlly fix itself ? if it detects a problem ?

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Start -> Run.
Press <enter>.

View Post

I checked event log and it was on automatic.

*Can computers fix themselfs ? If they find a error ?

paul14

paul14

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Mr chow,

This sounds like a problem i had a few years ago, it was caused by a windows update for my graphics card which was causing a conflict with powering down, so after rolling back the driver to the previous one before the update, did the trick.

Just a thought, have you updated any drivers lately?

best of luck

paul.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Hi Mr chow,

This sounds like a problem i had a few years ago, it was caused by a windows update for my graphics card which was causing a conflict with powering down, so after rolling back the driver to the previous one before the update, did the trick.

Just a thought, have you updated any drivers lately?
best of luck

paul.

View Post

I have always installed the latest drivers for my system when reformatting. I have had a problem with my video card drivers going bad .....

I have a Radeon 9600 Pro.

Evelinda

Evelinda

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have this same problem...it doesn't look to me like this was ever solved, and if it was, how? I also have XP, and the problem started about 6 months ago, but I was only asked to fix it today.