Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a USB card

• Please log in to reply

hoggle2000

hoggle2000

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I just bought this cheap USB card:
USB card

It has 4 ports and 1 internal port but I can't get these ports to work.

I have Windows XP SP2 fully updated so I can't see why these ports don't seem to work? Are the drivers rubbish?
The card itself is made by safecom and ALI chipset.

My Device manager seems to have changed but the ports aren't seeing my bluetooth adapter and anything else I plug in.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There isn't anything wrong with the card. The problem I've run into with USB cards is the makers don't follow the Microsoft protocol for installing the drivers, so windows may refuse to install them, or they just don't work. You could ty running the hardware wizard and looking for drivers at the MS website.

How are the drivers installed? Is there an .inf file on the disk, or if it uses an .exe file to download to a folder, is there an .inf file in the folder? Then the hardware wizard should pick it up.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
What Service Pack is installed with 2000 XP? Did you have an Installation CD with Card?

Usually you have [MULTIPLE OS INSTRUCTIONS] with these cards - Make sure you follow the correct 1 that applies to your OS & SP.

XP did not include USB Driver Support - until SP1 - Usually drivers on Card Installation CD is for WIN98 or are not the latest- They usually say: not to use??

And also follow the sequence exactly: - usually LOAD Driver 1st - then [RESTART] to [WINDOWS INSTALL] Driver then shutdown to install Card and then Start - PLUG & PLAY NEEDS THE USB DRIVERS [WINDOWS INSTALLED] 1st - NOT just LOADED 1st.- BIG DIFFERENCE -

Most Card MFG do not convey the fact that USB is a [WINDOWS DRIVER] supported Serial I/O BUS & the sequence of getting Drivers Loaded & INSTALLED 1st is vague -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 22 August 2005 - 04:58 PM.