Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
My bios recognizes both drives (master wd2500jb and slave wd 28400) but windows98se does not see the slave. the slave drive was my backup and has ALL my files but no os. the slave drive when set as master can be read in dos (obviously will not load windows since not installed) and all files are there. I need to get the files onto the new drive. I also want to have a dual boot (win98 {so i can use laser printer, no driver for xp}and xp) on the 2500. I am not sure how to set up partitions and use FAT32 or NTFS, etc. I have read that i need to install win98 1st then xp.

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
How is the slave disk formatted? (Fat, Fat32, or NTFS)

Do you want to dual boot with 98 on one drive and XP on the other or do you want to configure the new drive with 2 partitions (one 98 one XP)?

Win98 can read Fat16 and Fat32 drives but not NTFS.
XP can read them all.

What OS are you currently running on the master drive?

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
slave drive most likely FAT32 even though there is no os on it. when the disk was new (04/99) and it was a master, most likely it had win3.1 then win98se. can i find that out in dos?? does it matter?

i want dual boot on one drive (2500). I have a laser printer with no drivers for xp!!

so i should go with FAT32? i am not clear what the FAT32 (i know it means file allocation table) and NTFS differences are; i think i has to do with how big the partitions read. (I do a lot of research cuz i'm such a cheapsake and am capable, just need a little help on this situation).

master drive (2500) right now has win98 but really doesn't matter since i want to make it a dual boot and start fresh. there are no programs or files on it just win98.

another note, the motherboard in a K76A/1700xp+AMD (new 06/02).

thank you for responding :tazz:

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
A guide to setting up a dual bot system can be found Here

If you go to the printer manufacturer's website you should be able to download drivers for it.

r7yea

r7yea

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
It doesnít matter which file system you have on the slave, XP will read it.

If all you want a dual boot system for is the ability to use the laser printer I just cannot believe that you cannot find the XP drivers for it. Go to the Manufactures site 1st and if necessary do a search on one of the many web driverís sites.
NOTE: I use a HP laser printer (Black only) that came off the Ark with XP

You do not have to load any OS before XP, if the XP disk is not bootable Microsoft has a download for XP bootable floppyís. Just pay attention to the version (SP1, SP2, etc.) I would go to The Elder Geek and follow the tutorial there for slipstreaming SP2 if your XP disk is not already SP2. Itíll save you a ton of update time and may come in handy for any future repairs to you OS.

If you just have to have a dual boot system there are good tutorials for that there also.

Microsoft has an excellent knowledge base that includes a very informative article on the differences between FAT32 and NTFS.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
thank you. some great sites with info. unfortunately, canon does NOT have an xp driver for my printer; i've known that for quite some time (one of the reasons i did not want to go w/ xp! thus my desire for dual boot) i guess now i need to decide what size partitions to make. But i still need to know how to get my files off the storage drive.

r7yea

r7yea

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
If you leave a reply with the Cannonís specís Iíll point you in the direction of a universal driver that will work with XP, or you can do a search for one yourself. The driver does not have to come from Cannon, itís to their advantage not to supply one. That way you need a new printer.

If your BIOís reads the slave drive but the OS doesnít, use your device manager and/or point the drive out with the Add New Hardware wizard.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yes it matters what file format is on the disk if you're trying to read it with Win98 as Win98 can only read Fat16 and Fat32 partitions.

XP can read any of the prior file formats that MS released.

As r7 said if you post the specs of the laser printer I'll bet someone can point you to a driver that will work for XP leaving you with having to install only XP.

This would be a better approach unless of course you prefer to keep Win98 as part of a dual boot for other reasons.

In which case (ideally) you would need 2 partitions to accomplish this.
You currently have Win98 on the disk you want the dual boot on so you need to create a second partition and install WinXP on that partition.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have or can borrow another computer with XP, win2000 or NT4.0, these all use NTFS, if make your drive a slave in it and network the two computers and move the files to your other disk, is you have room. Then you can put it back in as slave to yours, repartition and reformat it and move the files back. Or if you have or plan to get another disk you can include it in the scheme.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
the printer is a canon lbp460. if this will work, then just loading xp will be fine with me. i did read somewhere that you could use hp drivers but not sure which one. as soon as i can find a driver, i'll try it. thanks for your help.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
The driver is at http://www.driverguide.com

You'll have to create an account to get it but it's free...Just use an email address that's disposable(yahoo...hotmail...etc)...a lot of spam...

When logged in just browse drivers and do a search for your driver...There will lots of drivers for that one but somewhere near the bottom of the list is a driver for WinXP.

Good luck

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i put the 8G drive as slave on a computer (freshly formatted) running winxp. bios recognizes drive. Computer managment sees the drive as disk 1, fat32, healthy (active), no volume, one partition. my computer sees the disk as local disk e:. when i click on that, the error is e:\ is not accessible. the parameter is incorrect.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
ok i found a driver for the canon lbp460. but i cannot get it to work. so i would still like to dual boot. the main problem now is getting the files from the drive that can't be read.