Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scandisc says...

• Please log in to reply

birdman59

birdman59

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Scan disc says I have bad clusters, so I have another (slave)drive on my system.
I set jumper pins to both master settings and took all the files I could think of and burned them onto a setof cd's. I formatted my former slave and installed Windows 98se. When I boot with my new clean master, my modem disappeared. Former master boot says modem is at COM3, new says no such com...only COM1 and COM2 are there and I can't make my modem appear, no matter what slot it goes in. Help.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi birdman59...Welcome to G2G...

Sounds like you need to install your modem. Do you have the software that came with it? If not, you will need the make and model of the modem and you'll be able to get the drivers for it from the Mfg's website. If you need help with this process, please post back to this thread.

Another thing you might do is move the modem to a different PCI slot...this will usually get the computer to detect it correctly. You will probably still have to install the drivers, though.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 22 August 2005 - 05:19 PM.

birdman59

birdman59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I already tried placing modem in every slot(3 total) it will fit in.

I noticed that when I boot with the old drive, screen says "starting ez bios"...etc
the new drive does not seem to have a copy of the old BIOS on it to load when booting. Can I re-format the new drive differently (used windows format command last time & fdisc with dos partition first time) and place the BIOS system I need on it? Any other way to do this?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

the new drive does not seem to have a copy of the old BIOS on it

BIOS is actually found on a chip mounted on the Motherboard...it's not on your hard drive.

Does your Modem show up in the Device Manager?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2005 - 04:09 PM.

birdman59

birdman59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No modems show on the device manager and you can go to the add new hardware wizard and try to force detect the modem, but to no avail. No matter what slot it goes in, the operating system can't see it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy birdman59...

This almost sounds like a "modem gone South" issue, but let's try a couple other things before we decide.

Open the Modems Properties dialog box by clicking Start, pointing to Settings, clicking Control Panel, double-clicking Modems, clicking a modem, and then clicking Properties.

If this step displays the Install New Modem wizard instead of the Modems Properties dialog box, then follow the instructions on your screen to install the modem.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 August 2005 - 01:31 PM.

birdman59

birdman59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried the settings, control panel, modem thing. No modem is detected on the system. You can try to make it detect one, but it won't, no matter what slot it's in.
Maybe I'll see if I can buy a new one and try to install that. I installed a 4 port USB hub and it detected that ok as well as a USB ported printer.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi birdman59....

I'd be willing to bet your modem is bad. If your machine is detecting everything exept that modem then it's time to change it out.

wannabe1

birdman59

birdman59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just wanted you to know that I found the drivers for my modem on-line and re-installed them. The operating system immediatly detected the modem and installed
it. Problem solved. Thank you for your help.

[email protected]

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good job birdman59!!!

I'm glad you got the problem sorted out. (And I ought to get slapped upside the head for not seeing the obvious :tazz:)

wannabe1