Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio malfunction

• Please log in to reply

mtndawg

mtndawg

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a dell dimension desktop with the basic sound card. I am running altec lansing 4.1 surround speakers. A few days ago, my right speakers stopped working altogether. I checked the speakers on my roommates computer and they worked fine. Also, I plugged them in to the front headphone jack, and all of them worked, with some quality loss. I then plugged a pair of headphones into the rear jack and only got sound out of the left side. What can I do to try to fix this problem so that I can enjoy my music again? Thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

mtndawg

mtndawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I still haven't heard anything...both from my speakers and on this posting. Just wondering if anyone had looked at it?

Thanks

mad4mp3z

mad4mp3z

• Pip
  • 3 posts
do the speekers work if you wiggle the wire connection at the back?? if so you have a dry joint and it will need soldering if its not ya got me there!!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi mtndawg-

sounds like the jack for the sound output is going bad. you mentioned your machine is a dell, do you know if you are using integrated audio or a separate audio card?
you can check by going to control panel, sound and audio devices, audio tab. tell me what is the selected playback device- if it says ac97, it is an integrated chip. please post whatever is listed, and we can try to track down if the jack is bad, or something else is going on.

mtndawg

mtndawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
it is an integrated audio card...i know...they suck...even when i wiggle the connections it doesnt do anything...it says it is a SoundMAX digital audio card...thanks for whatever insight you have! :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
eek, I have seen many many failures of onboard sound, and had my share of them with soundmax as well....
you could try grabbing the latest drivers for it, un- and re-installing them. its worth a shot, but I wouldnt be suprised if that made no difference. the sad truth is onboard sound is usually pretty cheap stuff, and I avoid using it whenever possible.
since you have a dell, if the machine is not too old, it might be worth contacting them to see if they will do anything for you. it would mean replacing the motherboard though, so dont hold your breath...but you might be able to get them to help with a pci sound card.

otherwise, I would suggest getting a card on your own. I usually suggest the soundblaster stuff, its pretty solid. no need to go for an expensive card if you dont want to, even the cheap older soundblaster live! cards work quite well (I use two of those myself in my machines, for general computing and games).

post back with any questions, etc.

mtndawg

mtndawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks a ton...i'll look in to some pci audio cards! have a good one :tazz: