Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive full

• Please log in to reply

ucwoody

ucwoody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, spot on Samm. These are the best alternatives I have right now. I'd still like to figure why/how all that space is being used. Everything I've creacated on this drive is a mere 440M in "My Documents" plus I have 4G of programs, yet my 40G (minus backup) drive C is full. Something must be wrong or I'm storing stuff I just don't need it seems?

Advertisements

ucwoody

ucwoody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok, just to give an update if anyone is still interested---I was down to only 180MB free today on my C. I was unable to defrag after moving MY DOCS, since it was so small (350MB) it didn't create the required room to run it (think you need at least 5% free space or something like that). So I held my breath and here's what I did. I went into C:Doc and Settings to find that Admin/local settings/Temp was almost 10 Gigs. Inside that folder there are tons of folders, but many of the files were TMPs. I deleted any TMP in this file that didn't issue me a warning. Two of those files were over a Gig each! All together I deleted over 8 Gigs of TMPs. Not sure why all those accumulated. The I went into Doc and Settings/default user/Administrators documents. This looked much like MY DOCUMENTS where I do all my work, BUT it still contained a duplicate of the files that I had moved to my new slave drive b4. I'm not sure why that was still there. After convincing myself that I DO have all that on the slave and a backup DVD, I moved the (4 Gig) copy of that to my new 80 Gig drive. After I prove I'm ok, I'll delete it. I defragged, just now but that didn't change the unused space materially. So, now I have cleared almost one third of my C drive usable space to use again. I don't know why these .TMPs pile up or why that folder didn't go away when I deleted it from MY DOCUMENTS. At least I have room for a good while now I think.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Keep searching and you'll get it, and clean out the recycle bin often. In Internet Options you may have some settings that will delete the temp files automatically.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I don't know why these .TMPs pile up or why that folder didn't go away when I deleted it from MY DOCUMENTS

I may be wrong, but the folder you found cannot be deleted. errr, it can, but it just creates itself again when more temp stuff need to be stored there.

I can't explain how a couple of .tmp files turned out to be over a gig! :) I hope you find the answer to this. It's really stumping me. :tazz:

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
why not just clone the primary drive to the secondary then swap the jumpers over format the drive which is currently the windows which then wont be, the chances are the 80gb drive is faster and obviously twice the compacity so why not use it as the master, and windows drive?

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
There are programs such as Webroots Window Washer (trial version available)which can scour your HD and automatically clean out all the unwanted and unneccesary temp files, etc.

ucwoody

ucwoody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Changing the 80G to the master is a solution, but I have no clue how to do that. Over my head. I'll check out the window washer if things start fill up again. I've gone back to see if more .TMPs are being added---none so far. I thought about it and I'm wondering if .TMP are created if when a PC locks up and has to be turned off (plug pulled) and rebooted. My PC is unstable too often that way, freezing up more than it should. Again, thanks for the suggestions. :tazz: