Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows popping up at start up

• Please log in to reply

sunny05

sunny05

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I hope this is in the right forum, I wasn't exactly sure where to put it and the last guy who helped me with my spyware suggested putting it here. Anyways, earlier today I was getting rid of some malware stuff and got all that fixed. But now I have this new thing going on when I reboot my pc.

When I restart my computer, 2 windows pop up at the start up. The first one says 'Windows cannot find 'four actual squares here' Make sure you typed the name corection and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button then click search.

Then there's another window that pops up and says 'Could not run 'four squares again' specified in registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the references to it in the registry.

When I go to run & msconfig I can see the file. The location says HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Windows:Load

I found the file in my registry, but is it ok to delete it? If not, do you know how I could fix it?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you have Office 2003, open Excel, click help then detect and repair

Check Microsoft and Office update

sunny05

sunny05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Just did all those things and the 2 windows are still popping up at start up.

sunny05

sunny05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Do you or does anyone else have any other ideas on what it could be? It looks like it has something to do with a program in Microsoft from its location, but I'm clueless as to what it is.

firejim

firejim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
have the smae problem looking for answers here

how/can you delete them from the startup tab in the msconfig?

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I'm sure there are 2 entries in msconfig startup tab that refer to ◙◙◙◙. Find those, uncheck them, then click apply and ok and reboot.

*EDIT*

I meant 2 entries in HiJackThis log.

I suggest you START HERE and go through the manual fixes on your own and if you are still having problems, then post a hijackthis log in the malware forum

Edited by Jarenien, 26 August 2005 - 01:44 PM.

sunny05

sunny05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks Jarenien, I've been working with someone in the malware forum and I think we're getting to the bottom of it. Thanks for the info. :tazz: