Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with my ip adress

• Please log in to reply

nyy147

nyy147

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer is hooked up through a wireless router. We have cable internet and my computer is the computer not directly connected to the internet. One day my computer suddenly stopped connectign to the internet. When i looked at the ip address it started with 169.254 and i tried re booting the computers and modems. the ip address on the workign computer is 192.168.10.3 I tried renewing the ip address also. I even bought a new networkign card so that i could try hooking the modem directly to my computer and that did not work either. I even reinstalled windows xp which did not solve my problem. It says that i am gettgin excellent signal strength. Although it also says i have limited or no connectivity. When i try to manually configure the ip address to a 192.168.xx.xx it says that i am connected but it will still not allow me to browse and websites. I have tried calling dell, Motorola (Manufacturer of my router), and comcast. No one seems to be able to fix it. I am stumped. One day it just stoped working. Id really appreciate some help from anyone who has any suggestions. Thanks

Advertisements

degtr

degtr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm having a similar problem (see post below). My workaround has been to first release the IP and then renew it, and it works every time. I see you mention renewing the IP, but did you first release it? Under Windows XP, go to the command prompt and type 'ipconfig release' followed by 'ipconfig renew'.

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just tried releasing and then renewing my ip address. It said that it could not find the server when i tried to renew the ip address. However i have excellent signal strength to my router. It released the ip address just fine though.

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Seems to be a problem with your router. The simple solution would be to just reset it by holding down the small buttom usually located on the back.

Try that, then holla back

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah i have tried to do that also. Ive tried resetting my modem as well as my router. Neither have seemed to work. I could not even connect when i tried to hook the modem directly top my computer. Does anyone else have any suggesstions?

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry if i sound really persistant but it has been 10 months since my internet stopped working so if anyone knows what could be wrong or how to fix my problem i would really appreciate the help. Thanks

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Well I'm not an expert in TCP/IP, but it's looking like it might be your wireless card. Can you connect with another wireless card?

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Nope ive tried when i hooked up directly to the modem. I used my ethernet card instead of the one that is used when u connecter the wireless adapter

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi nyy147

Please click on the start button> run > type in to the box the following: ipconfig /release now click on OK
Then do the same again then type the following: ipconfig /renew

There is a space between ipconfig /

Kc

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I just had a case in which I tried to change TCP/IP properties without success. The computer accepted the new parameters but when I tried to connect to the internet it showed the old IP and wouldn't connect. After running Ad-aware and AVG antivirus the problem disappeared. Try this if you didn't yet.

Advertisements

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ive tried running adaware and my anti virus allready uinfortunatly. And I have tried to release and renew my ip address also. Somewhere i heard aboutt his guy that had the exact problem as i do and he got a new modem and it fixed the problem. Note that he had two computers and one was connected and working the other not

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
is dhcp enabled on your wireless card and your router?

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yep

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Are you running XP with SP2 installed?
If so, click start, click run, type 'cmd' w/o quotes, and hit enter.
Then in the command prompt type "netsh winsock reset", again w/o quotes, and hit enter.
Reboot and try to connect again.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Please check the following setting....Start/control panel/network connections/ right click on Local Area Network/ click the authentication tab...make sure the Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network is NOT Checked....reboot your computer...