Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

trying to update operating system

• Please log in to reply

lilones5

lilones5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I work PT at a resource room for homeschoolers. We have a variety of donated computers there, so I am constantly trying to fix things that well-meaning folks have given us, to make them useful. I currently have a computer that had a trial version of windows 2000 server, which expired after 90 days. I have been trying to load XP on it, but it always gets to a certyain point and then tells me that the OP has expired and I need to update. DUH! :tazz: That is what I am trying to do but it gets to a point and tells me this every time, whether I put the XP disc in before or after booting.
I will tell you honestly that I have learned most of what I know through trial and error, knowing very few of the correct terms for all the little "thingys and "whatchamacallits". If you can tell me in real English rather than tech-english it would help me immensely! :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you using a full install CD for XP? If you are, I would just reformat the HD and install XP afterwards. Not a full install package? If you have an older version of Windows that is a full install, I would use it after reformatting the HD. Once it is install, then install the vesion of XP.

I would wipe the HD on all those old PCs anyway. Never know what you'll find on them.

Ron

lilones5

lilones5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
2 problems with this scenario: Since it is donated, I do not have the original restore CD for this computer, and this is an update copy of XP not a full install.
Am I totally hung out to dry or is ther still an answer?
The major problem of course is money, hence the donated computers ,although most of them are more trouble than benefit. This little operation is run strictly on a volunteer basis without a lot of revenue. Out of 5 computers that I am currently trying to make useful, this one appeared to be the easiest to fix first...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might try a new trial version of Win Server 2003 and see if you can get XP to install over it :

Windows Server 2003 Trial Software

This is an 180 day trial. And you have to register. Check it out and see if it helps at all to do this.

Ron

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

XP will NOT upgrade using either scenario.. Reason being, an XP upgrade cd won't recognize any server version as a legitimate upgrade medium.. as per Microsoft..

"The server operating systems are not eligible for upgrade to Windows XP."

You need a differnet qualifying medium such as a retail version of Win98 and up to use the upgrade cd or, buy a full install XP cd and use that!!

Murray