Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wierd power up and fan issue

• Please log in to reply

BSB

BSB

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello i just built a new computer and turned it on and it started up with the fans shaking then after a couple of tries the fans came on stable on the cpu fan, case fan, chipset fan, and video card, but nothing else turns on, the hard drive is inactive, nothing coming form the dvd drive, I don't think the cpu is warmingg up either, because I took off the fan and it is still cold. Whats going on?

Advertisements

BSB

BSB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok I guess I had a few cables mixed up, but now even though the fans in the computer come on the hard drive and the DVD driove won't.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what did you mean by the fans "shaking?

BSB

BSB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
that they just jittered, and would no spin, but now I have another question my DVD rom turns on when I take out the IDE cable, but when I put the IDE cable back in nothing happens, can't tell if the hard drive is turning on.

Edited by BSB, 23 August 2005 - 08:34 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how do you have your jumpers set on all the ide drives? is your hd and cd rom on the same cable?

BSB

BSB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The jumpers are set to master on the HD, and slave on the DVD drive, and yes they share the same cable.

BSB

BSB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Could it be a bad cable?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try putting them on seperate cables....

BSB

BSB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
tried new cables and nothing happend, is this the sign of a bad motherboard?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did you put them on Seperate cables eg HDD on IDE1 and DVD on IDE 2. There will be a noticable noise and the HD activity light will turn on if the drive is on.