Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some advice

• Please log in to reply

Moose78

Moose78

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hello, I need some advice regarding forums, and forum activity. I run a sports web-site, and we recently upgraded everything, our forums, and our main page for news. Still no activity. I've tried and thought of everything, and have probably tried too hard in some instances ( :) ).

I was just wondering what are some good ways to get users to my forums and make it an active community?

Thanks,
Moose
:tazz:

Advertisements

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Hi Moose,

Can you reply and leave your site addy, so we can take a gander at it, then tell you our thoughts that may attract visitors to your forum page.

:tazz:

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
http://chicagosports...orums/index.php?

Sorry for the delay in replying, been busy the last couple days. Thanks for offering to help, :tazz:

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
well in my opinion to the design is that the hover links look terrible you should change it to something like underlined maybe.and the blue really isnt again in my opinion a good color.and as for the members it isnt easy the meta tags dont do anything for search its just for adds it has to do with relevancy i seen it on a computer help show called "call for help"..

enjoy

~lilhawk2892~

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

.and as for the members it isnt easy the meta tags dont do anything for search its just for adds it has to do with relevancy i seen it on a computer help show called "call for help"..
enjoy

~lilhawk2892~

View Post

Thats where ya lost me. The other things you mentioned, you can change the theme, we have all of the Chicago teams and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish as well. As for the adds, I didn't put those up, the main admin did, I'm not a huge fan of them either, but I'm the second in control, so I got little say in those things.

My main responsibility is getting people there and making it active.

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
yeah you have to have a good looking skin

i mean one of the first things i look at in forums is the registered members

psst.. between you and me you can make like 50 members by yourself and make some threads changing members and then theres the skin having a professional looking skin makes a progfessional forum

Edited by lilhawk2892, 28 August 2005 - 03:56 PM.

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I've created a few members to try to boost interest, but no luck so far. How do I get my mods more involved in this?

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
well in big forums like this a moderator would be so happy to be chosen out of 100,000 that it would be hard to keep him/her away