Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Icons Tardy - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

NCWaterfowler

NCWaterfowler

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
When I load up my desktop icons take a couple of minutes to appear, AFTER my startups are done. This is something recent and I am curious how to go about diagnosing and resolving the problem.

I have been getting "Invalid Boot.INI" file message at startup, but this has been in existence for a couple of years and seems to be a different, apparently not so demanding, concern.

Any ideas on either?

Thanks!

Win 2k
SP4

Advertisements

lucien

lucien

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
For the first question ...This has happened to my PC before too...I just ran Spybot-Search And Destroy,Ad-Aware and disc cleanup..and it all went back to normal. The second question i have no idea about..sry.Hope this helps you tho.

Edited by lucien, 24 August 2005 - 08:56 PM.

NCWaterfowler

NCWaterfowler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the attempt. I'm clean on the malware front.

Care to take another shot, or anybody else?

Gleek

Gleek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Insert your 2000 CD and restart your PC. Assuming your PC is set to boot from CD first you should see a prompt inviting you to press any key to boot from it. Do so, and you’ll see the start of the Windows 2k installation process. Eventually, you’ll come to a screen where you’ll be asked to set up Windows or press [R] to launch the Recovery Console. Press [R] and wait for it to load.

You’ll first be asked which Windows installation you wish to log on to: press [1]. When prompted for a password, press [Return] – the administrator password is blank by default.

When the C:>Windows> prompt appears, type bootcfg /rebuild and press [Return]. After a while, all available Windows installations on your PC will be listed, and you can decide whether or not they should be included in the new boot.ini file – we suggest pressing [Y] followed by [Return]. When asked to enter a ‘Load Identifier’, type Windows 2k or whatever version of Windows has been detected. Finally, under ‘OS Load Options’ type /fastdetect and press [Return]. Finally type exit and press [Return] and the error message should be gone.

If there are any unwanted entries left on the boot menu, you can remove them from within Windows itself. See http://support.micro...kb;en-us;311578

Edited by Gleek, 26 August 2005 - 10:09 PM.

NCWaterfowler

NCWaterfowler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Insert your 2000 CD and restart your PC.

This of course assumes that I still have this CD. :tazz:

Have NO IDEA where it is. :)