Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading comp

• Please log in to reply

vikas.nv

vikas.nv

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i have an AMD Athlon XP 2100+, with MSI 6039 board... the FSB is 133MHZ and have 512 MB ram of 133MHZ.

i want to upgrade this since it is very difficult to play a game for ex: maxpyne etc
please advice what all shud i change... to build a good system for gaming... & good graphics

:tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Probably the cheapest & easiest upgrade will be the video card & memory. Check your motherboard manual (download it from MSIs website if you don't have it) & find out which AGP cards it will support - ie. 4x/8x and 1.5 or 0.8V.
If you system has empty ram slots, you can add more memory but make sure the memory you buy matches whats already in there. If there are no free slots, you'll have replace the smallest module with a larger one.
Again, the mobo manual will tell you what the largest single module size is and the max amount of ram in total, that your board supports

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It depends what your expectations are and what you are willing to spend. Basically your system is quite old for present applications, especially the memory which is rather slow. You got good advice from Samm. If your budget is limited go for it but don't expect too much. If you can spend more, consider also replacing the motherboard, cpu and memory modules.