Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having troubles opening .exe file

• Please log in to reply

TripleDeuce

TripleDeuce

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When trying to install a certain program onto my computer, I double-click the .exe file and the mouse shows the hour-glass (indicating that it is working) and then the hour-glass goes away, but no installation guide/setup ever shows up.

When I check Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and click on the "Processes" tab, I see that the .exe file is running there.

Does anyone know why the .exe file seems to be running but I can't see it? It might be a confusing question, but any help is appreciated.

Edited by TripleDeuce, 24 August 2005 - 09:47 AM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It could simply be how the installer acts. When installing Etrust antivirus, the installer does everthing for you, no user intevention at first. It looks like nothing is happening, but after about 5 minutes, something will pop up. What program are you trying to install?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 29 August 2005 - 03:08 PM.

TripleDeuce

TripleDeuce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Nope, the installers weren't functioning the way they normally do, and nothing ever popped up. I tried to install both BearShare and Limewire, both to no avail. My computer was being pretty spazzy so I just reinstalled XP and everything works properly now, but I'm still curious if anyone else knows something about why installers / .exe files would stop working. Maybe a virus problem? Thanks for the reply computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It probably was a virus problem. I'm not sure how much safer BearShare and Limewire is from Kazaa, but I know it won't be healthy for your computer. Any kind of file sharing comes with great risks! If you're really going to use that stuff, make sure you're protected with a good anti-virus, Ad-Aware, Spybot - Search and Destroy, and a good firewall as well. I don't use any kind of file sharing at all. If I really want something without paying, I get it from my friends. Take care. :tazz: