Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

images saved as bitmap only

• Please log in to reply

cobbler1

cobbler1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer is only saving images in bitmap format. I go to right click, save as, and all it has is bitmap BMP. No other options. My OS is XP.

I've tried this and it didn't work: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;260650

SYMPTOMS
When you click the Save Picture As button for a graphics file in Microsoft Internet Explorer, you may be able to save the file only as a .bmp file even if the file is in another format (such as GIF or JPEG). The file name may also appear as "Untitled."

CAUSE
This issue may occur if either of the following conditions is true:• This issue may occur if your Temporary Internet pages cache is full.
• This issue can occur if you have "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" selected in Tools, Options, Advanced Tab and are loading the page over a secure connection (https).

I've also tried this and it didn't work either: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810978

SUMMARY
When you save an image in Microsoft Internet Explorer, the image is saved by default as a bitmap (.bmp). You do not have the option to save the image by using an extension other than .bmp. You experience this behavior even when the image uses a different format (such as .gif or .jpeg).

For example, when you right-click an image on a Web page, and then click Save Picture As, the file name that appears in the File name box is Untitled, and the file type that appears in the Save as type box is Bitmap (*.bmp).
CAUSE
This behavior may occur if a damaged program file (for example, an ActiveX or Java object) is downloaded to the SystemRoot\Downloaded Program Files folder on your hard disk.
RESOLUTION
To troubleshoot and resolve this behavior, empty the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder, and then delete the files in the Downloaded Program Files folder that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged. To do so: 1. Start Internet Explorer (if it is not already started).
2. Empty the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder. To do so: a. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
b. Click the General tab.
c. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
d. When you are prompted to delete all temporary Internet files, click OK.

3. In the Downloaded Program Files folder on your hard disk, remove the files that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged. To do so: a. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
b. Click the General tab.
c. Under Temporary Internet files, click Settings.
d. Click View Objects.

The list of program files that are downloaded to the SystemRoot\Downloaded Program Files folder on your hard disk appears in the Downloaded Program Files window.
e. In the Status column, note the files that are listed as either Unknown or Damaged. Remove these files. To do so, right-click the file, and then click Remove.
f. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click Yes.
g. Close the Downloaded Program Files window, and then click OK two times.

4. Save an image in Internet Explorer to test and determine if the issue is resolved.

If the issue continues to occur after you remove all downloaded program files that are listed as Unknown or Damaged, try removing the other downloaded program files that are on the list.

Note: The next time that you need one of the files that you removed from the Downloaded Program Files folder, you will receive a prompt to download the file to your hard disk in Internet Explorer.
If you follow these steps, and the issue still occurs, move the Temporary Internet Files folder to a new location. To move the folder, follow these steps:1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. On the General tab, click Settings under Temporary Internet files.
4. Click Move Folder.
5. In the Browse for Folder dialog box, select a new location for the folder, and then click OK.
6. Click OK to close the Settings dialog box.
7. When you receive the following warning message, click Yes:
Windows will now log you off to finish moving Temporary Internet Files.
Do you want to continue?
(All other changes have been saved.)
Windows automatically logs you off of the computer.
8. Log back on to the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is making me completely crazy!
:tazz:

Thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what image editing software do you have?

cobbler1

cobbler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

what image editing software do you have?

View Post

I have Paint Shop Pro 7 but I use it rarely.
Just when I want to re-size an image.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cobbler1...

Sounds like you need to add a file extension to Folder Options.

Start > Control Panel > Folder Options...Click New...Click Advanced...In the File Extension Box type JPEG and in the Associated File box typs JPEG Image. You can repeat this for each type of file you need ie: GIF/Gif Image...JPG/JPG Image...and so on.

wannabe1

cobbler1

cobbler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi cobbler1...

Sounds like you need to add a file extension to Folder Options.

Start > Control Panel > Folder Options...Click New...Click Advanced...In the File Extension Box type JPEG and in the Associated File box typs JPEG Image.  You can repeat this for each type of file you need ie: GIF/Gif Image...JPG/JPG Image...and so on.

wannabe1

View Post

Thanks, I just tried that. I didn't work either. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cobbler1....

I have Paint Shop Pro 7 but I use it rarely.

What do you normally use to open your images? Winows Picture and Fax Viewer? Do you connect to the internet through AOL?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2005 - 03:15 PM.

cobbler1

cobbler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

cobbler1....

What do you normally use to open your images?  Winows Picture and Fax Viewer?  Do you connect to the internet through AOL?

wannabe1

View Post

To view images that I have saved on my computer I just go to "my pictures".

If I want to enlarge or shrink them, I use the PSP7 icon on my desktop and pull them up from there.

Then I use imageshack to host them.

I have road runner. Got rid of AOL quite a while back!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you save your images as jpeg with PSP7? Have you tried using a different browser such as Firefox? When you right click on a web page and choose "View Source" does it bring up the source code in Notepad?

Sorry about all the questions...just trying to sort this out in my own mind... :tazz:

wannabe1

cobbler1

cobbler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Can you save your images as jpeg with PSP7?

All pics / graphics / images are saved on my hard drive and are in jpg or gif format. When I use PSP it does not change them to any thing; they stay in the same format.

Have you tried using a different browser such as Firefox?

No, I use IE.

When you right click on a web page and choose "View Source" does it bring up the source code in Notepad?

When I clicked on "view source" (just now to test it) nothing came up at all.

When I rt. click on an image I can go to "properties" , cut & paste that in a new browser window and save it in "favorites" but of course that's not allowing me to save the graphic on my computer.

Sorry about all the questions...just trying to sort this out in my own mind... 

No! I appreciate your help with this! By all means, please ask any thing that you think may help me to resolve this issue!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok cobbler1...you're going to have to humor me a little here....

I want to make sure the Temporary Internet Files are gone.....From IE, Click Tools then Internet Options Under the "General" tab in the "Temporary Internet Files box, click Settings then click View Files...If there are ANY files in this window, click "Edit" and choose "Select All"...Right click any highlighted file and choose "Delete". Close the dialog boxes with "Ok".

Now in IE...right click on a web page and choose "View Source"...are you able to view the source code in notepad?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2005 - 05:36 PM.

Advertisements

cobbler1

cobbler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

you're going to have to humor me a little here....

No problem! I really appreciate your help!

As for the temp files:

I enter sweep stakes on line, so I dump cookies (2-3 x a week), temp files and history (every day) since I know this slows my computer down. I also do a scan disk and reboot daily. I defrag (whether it says I need to or not) about once a month.

Now in IE...right click on a web page and choose "View Source"...are you able to view the source code in notepad?

Nothing happens or pops up when I rt click on View source.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm really kind of leaning towards an Internet Explorer problem here...whether it's a setting or a conflict, I'm not sure yet.

Do you have any other browsers (Not AOL) on your machine? If no, how about a quick "test drive" with Firefox? I actually like Firefox better than IE, but it's all a matter of personal preference. If you download Firefox and install it, you can import your IE Favorites into it. Then try to save an image and view source code.

Let me know how it goes.....

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2005 - 06:08 PM.

cobbler1

cobbler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have FF but I don't use it. I'm not that familiar with it to do any thing with it.

If you download Firefox and install it, you can import your IE Favorites into it.

I'd like to give it a try ... how do I do this (import favorites from IE to FF) ?

I will need to use Roboform as well (form filler). How do I get that to work with FF? This is the main reason I've stayed with IE. I enter about 300 - 400 sweep stakes on line a day (don't laugh! :tazz: I'm obsessed, but [bleep] it, I win stuff too!)

Your patience and kindness in helping me with this is greatly appreciated! :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
To import your Favorites, under "File" choose "Import"...Microsoft Internet Explorer should already by selected...Click "Next"...Leave all boxes checked and click "Next" then "Finish" when it is done importing.

Using Firefox is a lot like using IE...it's pretty easy to get used to. Don't know about the roboform...we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

The newest version of Firefox is 1.0.6...is that what you have?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2005 - 06:23 PM.

cobbler1

cobbler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have FF 1.0.4 .

If I click your link will I be able to up date / up grade?