Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP - Registry problems

• Please log in to reply

vintagehope

vintagehope

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi everyone.

I'm not sure what's going on with my laptop, which has Windows XP. I'll list the symptoms and hopefully someone will have an idea as to what I can try next...

My computer has crashed a few times lately. It recovers and the blue screen that says "Windows has recovered from a serious error..." pops up as I restart it. It has also randomly turned off a few times when left alone (I do NOT have my power options set for it to sleep, or hibernate, or turn off after a given period of time - it is set to always stay on when plugged into an outlet). I think there may be problems with invalid codes or codes missing from my registry.

I recently purchased an HP scanner/copier/printer, and my computer cannot recognize it. I have installed the software that came with the printer, uninstalled/reinstalled more than once, and it still won't work. I called HP support and they had me check something in BIOS, and went into somewhere to check that my USB ports were alive. I believe the USB ports are working, as they are still recognizing my wireless mouse and digital camera. However, it cannot recognize the printer. HP Support pretty much gave up.

Any ideas? Is there something I can run to check my registry and see if it's ok? If so, will I lose everything I have on my C drive? I'm trying these forums first because I received great help here once before, and don't want to send my computer out to be fixed, as classes begin next week. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To check for a couple of things, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

These will not affect the data and installed programmes