Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro Issues post malware work

• Please log in to reply

jsfrey

jsfrey

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

Been working with "Crustyoldbloke" of your team on malware - trojan

My report #57452 was generated as I occassionally had a slower system. If you look at the post, I had a problem a month ago, and didn't get help. In preparation I had dowloaded ewido and it happened to run on a subsequent boot. Everything ran ok since - but occcassionally slow.

Yesterday, we went to work following Phil's suggestions. In the process, I've lost my printers, task bar, access to my remote system (though everything seems to come up OK) and also notice when I go into Admin services, I can't bring up properties on any services or other elements. Also notices I can't drag something from one directory to another in explorer.

All this since I followed Phil's suggestions. I have looked back at everything we did and I see no interaction with my critical applications, but I'm out of gas.

At Crustyoldbloke's direction, I am now running MWAV which has to this point found 3 viruses and reports 976 errors. Its only been running 30 minutes so it has a way to go yet.

Obviously, I got ineffected 10 times over.

I work remotely over a CISCO VPN, which seems to be connecting OK. Outllok comes up, but won't talk to the server. I have noticed error when I pull up MSWORD, PPT and others.

Is there hope or should I send my PC to my corporate Admin to reload entirely.

Crustyoldbloke suggested I contact you.

Your thoughts?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I have a great deal of respect for the wonderful folks on the malware forum, who clean up computers with their tweezers and magnifying glasses, scanning reg codes and endless miles of logs. They even get a certain gleam in their eyes when they triumph over some internet pest's nasty code, and win one for the good guys. However, in real life, it is easier and faster to limit yourself to data recovery and a reinstall. I would ask crustyoldbloke for help to make a plan for your internet security needs of the future, too, so you don't wind up doing this again in a few months. Just my two cents.

Johanna

jsfrey

jsfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Johanna,

I pretty much came to the same conclusion, but thought I'd ask since I was directed your way. As WMAV continues on and identifies more mess than we saw initially, I think a reload is in order.

Thanks for your reply - Have a good day!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i aggree with johanna...when your system get's that funky it's usually best to start over.....the malware guys can remove alot of stuff...but..thes infections are getting smarter and more malicious every day...spyware/malware used to just steal your identity...now it tries it's hardest to steal your soul.....sorry for the bad news but...i figured you would want more than one person telling you to fromat/reinstall before you gave up on saving the beast