Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I've got a Dell PIII with a Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128D (wdm) card. There's no sound. WME.

I uninstalled the card in Device Manager, rebooted and re-installed it. I updated the drivers. I uninstalled the card and moved it to another pci slot. Device Manager looks good. No sound.

I plugged the speakers into my other pc. They are fine.

I installed a new sound card. Updated the drivers. Device Manager looks good. No sound.

I noticed that there is no speaker symbol down by the clock. Does WME have that symbol?

I went into 'sounds' in control panel. Nothing is muted. Is there anything I can do in the registry on a windows ME box?

I'm stumped....any ideas?

Advertisements

Camelman

Camelman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I think this might help you. My mate had the same problem and i resolved it like this.
Use the following steps to install the sound driver from the Drivers CD, and then change the Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128D Output Mode from Autosense to Digital.
To install the sound driver:

Place the Drivers CD into the CD/DVD drive. The CD starts automatically when Autorun is enabled.
Note: If the CD does not start automatically, click Start, and then click Run. In the Run dialog box, in the Open text box, type: D:Runmenu.exe (where D is the drive letter of the CD/DVD drive). COK.

In the System Restoration Kit window, click Manual Installation.

In the Sound video and game controllers area, click Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128D, and then click Install.

In the SBSetup dialog box, verify that Install Software is selected, and then click Next.

Files copy.

In the SBSetup dialog box, click Finish.

Click Start, and then click Turn Off Computer. In the Turn Off Computer window, click Restart.

To set the output to digital:

Open Control Panel.

If you are using the Windows XP default Start menu, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
If you are using the classic Start menu, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

In Control Panel, open Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices.

If the computer is in Category View, click Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, and then click Sounds and Audio Devices.
If the computer is in Classic View, double-click the Sounds and Audio Devices icon.

In the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab.

On the Hardware tab, click Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128D (WDM), and then click Properties.

In the Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128D (WDM) Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.

On the Settings tab, in the Output Mode section, click Digital, and then OK.

In the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties dialog box, click OK

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may also want to make sure that dell didn't assume that you wanted the onboard audio as well....if it has an onboard sound card as well...then the pci one wont work

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
There's no on-board sound. I checked the registry just to make sure.

This pc belongs to a friend of mine and I don't have the cd. But I did download the latest driver to the desktop. I'll have to un-install the new card and put the old one back in.

With the old card I did notice that it was set to autosense. I'll reinstall and let you know how it turns out.....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The more I reboot the more strange things happen, so I'm running Spinrite on the hardrive. On the opening screen it's showing 2 blocks marked bad. Which indicates bad sectors.

The pc is at least 5 years old. I'll let spinrite finish, but I'm suspecting a bad hardrive at this point.....

edit...spinrite is showing 3 bad clusters, 192 bad sectors, 98,300 bad bytes. Spinrite is 15% completed......

Edited by macten, 23 August 2005 - 03:14 PM.