Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you help me please

• Please log in to reply

crissy549

crissy549

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My roommate has a Toshiba laptop (not sure what kind) but I do know it has Windows XP. She has been having problems with it recently. She can't connect online even though she is receiving the wireless connection. Everytime she starts her computer System 32 opens up and now when she starts her computer she cant click on anything with the mouse. It is as if it is frozen. Is there anything that she can do to her computer?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi crissy549...

Have your friend try this...Start into Safe Mode

To Start in Safe Mode
Start your machine and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence (right after the beep)..when you get to the Options screen, choose "Safe Mode" and see if your machine will start. If it does...

Click "Start" and "Run"...In the box, type chkdsk /f (Note the space between chkdsk and /) and click "Ok"...type "Y" to do the check on next restart...restart the machine. Let us know if this helps.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2005 - 01:37 PM.

crissy549

crissy549

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried that and it didnt seem to do anything. The cursor still does not move....anything else I can try?

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
How does it work if it's out of range of the wireless network?

I ask this because there may be something wrong with the connection causing the computer to keep searching and trying to resolve connection therefore causing your mouse not to be responsive.

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
sounds silly but is the mouse pluged in?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
crissy549...

Nothing "silly" about your question, customcomp...I was just going to suggest trying a different keyboard and mouse. Providing, of course, that the laptop has the PS2 ports to support doing so.

wannabe1

crissy549

crissy549

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There is not another mouse besides the one that is part of the laptop itself. I think that there maybe spyware that is causing the problem. The computer is slow and that system 32 thing pops up everytime the computer is turned on. I am not sure what that means.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm leaning towards malware as a problem, too...but the mouse not working is a little odd. Does her laptop have PS2 ports either on the back or sides? I had an older Toshiba Satellite that had the PS2 ports for an external keyboard and mouse.

Meanwhile, you might go to the Malware Forum and download the tools to start cleaning her machine up. Use the "Homepage" links and "Save them to disk" so you can transfer them to her machine via floppy or cdr. Start with the "Start Here" link and try to get everything in Step 1 done.

Let's try to get her online so she can let the experts in the Malware Forum help her out.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 August 2005 - 04:03 PM.