Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Messed up Laptop

• Please log in to reply

greggumz

greggumz

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello my friend has a Dell Latitude D600 and his laptop was running really slow and would not connect to the internet. No packets would be sent or received. So I went through his ms config and took away all of the junk on his start up. Then I ran adaware, and spy bot. His computer became faster after i ran those two programs, but his soundcard quit working, and when you go to device manager, its empty. Theres not one thing listed, its just blank. When i click add new hardware the window will not open up. He still can't connect to the internet either. I went back to MSconfig and turned everything on and it still does this. Ontop of all of that another thing it does is his start bar at the bottom of the screen is not green and blue or even silver and green. Its just grey like windows 98 and no matter what I do i can't get it to go back to xp style. Anyway if somone could sugest some ideas that'd be great. If all else fails he can always just send it to dell.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, reboot

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If Keiths advice doesn't help then do a repair installation of windows. You can find detailed instructions at the pinned items at the top of operating system forum.