Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB vs Ethernet

• Please log in to reply

acttom

acttom

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a D-LInk router feeding two systems internet connections. The one going to the gateway Win 98 system is ethernet to a usb converter into the back of the pc. Does this converter slow down the internet connection speed to the system?
The gateway does not have an Ethernet port, it only has a USB port.So I have to have the converter unless I buy a Ethernet card and install it.

acttom :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If it's an older machine the USB is likely 1.1 and only good for about 10mbs for transfering files between computers. That's fine for downloading and uploading to the web where your ISP limits traffic anyway. But for local networking it's pretty slow. I networked two machines using ethernet, neither had firewalls or other protection, which slows things down, and they transferred files at 48mbs, or 48% of the network capacity. Also I find USB ports to be a little flakey, you'll see many posts here about people having problems with USB.

acttom

acttom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Should I buy an ethernet card for the Gateway Win 98 system and run straight ethernet from the router to the pc and remove the converter from the equation?
How much does a card cost and is it hard to install? What kind should I buy?

:tazz: acttom

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Should I buy an ethernet card for the Gateway Win 98 system and run straight ethernet from the router to the pc and remove the converter from the equation?
How much does a card cost and is it hard to install? What kind should I buy?

:tazz: acttom

View Post

Simpler is definitely better. You don't have to hurry so you can look for a bargain, just get a card with software. You can even buy a surplus/used card if price is a problem and download the software. A very common card you'll find surplus is the D-Link dfe530tx+ and you can find the software at the D-Link site.