Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comp wont regognize xp on hd

• Please log in to reply

gundamx90

gundamx90

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well Im out visiting relatives in Oregon and I left my computer back in nyc. only thing i brought with me was the hard drive, since they have a computer, i thought i could just plug it in and access all my files. Trouble is, for a few weeks now, it keeps warning me about smart hard drive failure. Back up and replace. But back home i was able to just press f1 and the os loaded normallly. Here, however, whne i press f1 it refuses to load xp. its a blank black screen for the past hour since bootup. This is when the drive is set as master, and no additional hard drive attached.

Then i tried using my hard drive as a slave and booted up. booted normally. my hard drive was not listed in my computer.

any ideas?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

You can't just go sticking an XP formatted and installed hdd into any old system as it will ONLY work in the system it was installed in.. Unless of course, you want to wipe it clean and start over..

When you slaved it, did you change the jumper to slave as well?? Also, in order to get to your files after you do get it slaved, the new system would have to take ownership of your files which means they won't work when you get back to your own system..

Should have brought the whole unit with you!!

Murray

gundamx90

gundamx90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Are you sure? I mean ive been shuttling that hard drive between my friends and my comp for a while with no problems

and its always given the option of booting eiether os

Edited by gundamx90, 23 August 2005 - 05:23 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The only way that can happen is if the boot ini file on the c: drive is set to allow for dual booting..

Murray