Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows errors

• Please log in to reply

tmcgrue

tmcgrue

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have Windows 2000 and I am not able to open any programs at all, I would get the "xxx.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows." I can get to the control panel but anything I try to open it gives me that error.

Please help!

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
do you have service pack 4 installed? if you don't try installing it. If you do try reinstalling it and then complete all the updates from windows update. If you still have problems, list in here all the processes that are currently running (NOT IN SAFE MODE), and I will try to let you know if you have some sort of virus/spyware on your system and will try to help you out.

Cranky

Cranky

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Read here.

http://www.iamnotage...m/a/xxx.EXE.php

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I believe he was referring to xxx.exe as any program that he tries to open, not xxx.exe itself. I could be wrong...

tmcgrue

tmcgrue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes I was referring to the xxx as any executable program that I try to run. Whatever the program is I will get that error.

bulvie

bulvie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HI

My friend is having the same problem with their W2K as well. Even whilue opening the system utilities and starting disk cleanup, it generates the same error message. Add/Remove programs commands. Even trying use the "cmd" in the run window generates the error. I have noticed if I am persistant and keep trying to open the same program several times, eventually, several of them will open.

I went to Symantec and ran virus tools and didn't find any. I even ran a full system scan which didn't reslult in any virus, but had 76 "at risk" items.

Any ideas what is wrong with this system?