Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc build problems.Hardware ect.

• Please log in to reply

googlenut

googlenut

• Pip
  • 8 posts
wow! do i need some help.I just built my pc,and i only strted with the basic hardware incase i run into some problems,and i only have installed on my mobo is- cpu/fan heatsink,harddrive,video card,1 stick ram,and 1 harddrive.Thats all i have installed so far.I pressed the power button and everything turns on,and then i get 1 beep that lasts about 3 secs long,and then my system shuts off by itself.and it does this everytime i try to start the pc.I replaced the harddrive,ram,video card that were from another system i have that works 100%,but even with the swapped hardware the system beeps for about 3 secs then it turns completely right off.The case,and psu is brand new that i just bought.Can you guys offer any help,or shed some needed light on the subject? Thanks!

Asus A7v133 socket a mobo
duron 1000mhz cpu.
1 stick of 256 pc-133 sdram/non ecc
20 gb fujitsu hdd.

I have set the mobo to juperless,and i have set the mobo to the duron 1000mhz specs to see if it would work,but still a no go.I have cleared the cmos by removing the battery for over 20mins,but a no go.

I have swapped the ram,harddrive,and power supply,but a no go.I have tried to figure out the bios beep,but the system doesnt stay on long enough to determine if it is a long beep,short beep ect, so i can troubleshoot the bios code.The system only stays on for about 3 secs before it completely shuts off.The only parts that havent been swapped are the mobo,and cpu.I even swapped the mouse,and keyboard. :tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Find the BIOS make / version then look at the manufacturers site for beep codes

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I understand correctly then you upgraded your system, leaving the old cpu and motherboard. If this is the case, then take off all the new components and install the old ones. If the computer works then start changing one component at a time, restarting the computer after each replacement. This way you will pinpoint the problem.

I am almost certain that the problem is a memeory one. try to install the old modules and see if the computer works. make sure the slots and contacts are clean. Check the new modules to latency and adjust in the bios if necessary.

googlenut

googlenut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have tried swapping the ram,but the system continues to shutdow.I have ried to fin d the beep code for my bios(Phoenix),but as i mentioned before that the system is only on for 3 secs before it shuts off so it is hard to tell the exact beep code.I only have the minimal hardware installed,and i have swapped all hardware except for the mobo,and cpu becasue i dont have a spare cpu,or mobo. :tazz:

SomeGuy05

SomeGuy05

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm not a "tech" by any means, but I've had a similar problem a few times and will throw my 2 cents in.

In every case where I built a rig for myself/family/friend and had the issue where the PC powers on for a few seconds, then powers itself off, it was the RAM. The stick was either bad, not supported, or too high-density for the mainboard. I've found that even if your board supports PC2700, not all PC2700 sticks will work. Just had the problem recently when my father called asking for a build. He bought three sticks of PC2700, 512MB each, same brand, etc etc. After hours of re-wiring, etc, my imbecile eyes realized that two of the sticks were one-sided, while the third was two-sided. The odd stick was keeping the PC from booting up. I assume the double-sided means it was some type of higher density, but like I said, I'm no tech (if someone could correct/explain that to me, that would be great).

I would also give the ASUS tech line a call about your beep error. I love their boards, but I wish they'd put the error codes in their manuals. I spent a day trying to figure out what my Post Reporter was telling me when my rig wouldn't boot. Their number is on their site.

Hopefully I've been of some assistance. I'm still learning myself :tazz:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
During the first 3 seconds, do you see anything on the screen? Usually the beeps indicate to problems in the ram or the video. Normally, however, the system keeps beeping and doesn't shut off.

Have you installed the heatsink on the cpu using a thin layer of thermal paste between them? If you did, have you done it coerrectly? It might be that your cpu is overheating and shuts the system off. This can happen very quickly.

Does the cpu sit in its socket correctly? no bent or broken pins? Is the whole assembly (heatsink + fan and cpu) attached correctly to the motherboard?

googlenut

googlenut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have about 10 sticks of ram ranging from 64mb-256mbs,and they are pc-100-pc-133 non ecc double sided 168 pin(i dont know the density)and i have used single sided also,but i cant get the mobo to stop shutting down after 3 secs.I checked the manual,and the cpu,and heatsink are seated correctly,and i used artic silver as per ther instructions on there website on how to apply the paste.I even just used the heatsink and pulledthe cpu power fan plug thinking it could be a defectie fan casuing a short in the mobo,but nothing is working.I do have a clue i hope!I pulled a no brainer when i forgot to install ram,and i power on the system and the system stayed on for more then 3 secs,and bios gave its famous no ram beep code.So i thought this was odd that with no ram installed the system would not shut down. :tazz: :)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

I do have a clue i hope!I pulled a no brainer when i forgot to install ram,and i power on the system and the system stayed on for more then 3 secs,and bios gave its famous no ram beep code.So i thought this was odd that with no ram installed the system would not shut down.

Thats not a bad way to test for ram problems I sometimes suggest it.

That makes me think bad ram controller on the mobo but I would try putting a stick of ram in a different slot if you have not already done so just in case the 1st slot is bad.

Rick

googlenut

googlenut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yes.i have tried all the ram slots one by one,and all the ram i have.I going to check to see if the ram i have is 3.3volts unbuffered becasue i was looking at the manual for the mobo,and asus stated that if that ram being used is not 3.3volts,and unbuffered,then it wont work,or boot-up.My ram is 168 pin- sdram pc-100,and pc-133 that i sed for this system.I have no more ideas left so i lso think something is wrong with the ram slots. :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The ram you have is compatible with your board and should work, sounds like a bad board to me

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Pheonix bios beep codes

Beep sequence What's Wrong
1-1-3 Your computer can't read the configuration information stored in the CMOS. Replace the motherboard.
1-1-4 Your BIOS needs to be replaced.
1-2-1 You have a bad timer chip on the motherboard; you need a new motherboard.
1-2-2 The motherboard is bad.
1-2-3 The motherboard is bad.
1-3-1 The motherboard is bad.
1-3-3 Same as AMI BIOS 2 beeps. Replace the motherboard.
1-3-4 The motherboard is bad.
1-4-1 The motherboard is bad.
1-4-2 Some of your memory is bad.
2-_-_ Any combination of beeps after two means that some of your memory is bad, and unless you want to get real technical, you should probably have the guys in the lab coats test the memory for you. Take your computer to the shop.
3-1-_ One of the chips on your motherboard is . You'll likely need to get another board.
3-2-4 Same as AMI BIOS 6 beeps: keyboard controller failure.
3-3-4 Your computer can't find the video card. Is it there? If so, try swapping it with another one and see if it works.
3-4-_ Your video card isn't working. You'll need to replace it.
4-2-1 There's a bad chip on the motherboard. You need to buy another board.
4-2-2 First, check the keyboard for problems. If there are none, you have a bad motherboard.
4-2-3 See 4-2-2.
4-2-4 One of the cards is bad. Try taking out the cards one by one to isolate the culprit. Replace the bad one. The last possibility is to buy another motherboard.
4-3-1 Replace the motherboard.
4-3-2 See 4-3-1
4-3-3 See 4-3-1
4-3-4 Time of day clock failure. Try running the setup program that comes with the computer, and check the date and time. If that doesn't work, replace the battery. If that doesn't work, replace the power supply. You may have to replace the motherboard, but that is rare.
4-4-1 Your serial ports are acting up. Reseat or replace the I/O card. If the I/O is on the motherboard itself, disable it with a jumper (consult your manual to know which one) and then add an I/O card.
4-4-2 See 4-4-1
4-4-3 Your math coprocessor is malfunctioning. Run a test program to double-check it. If it is indeed bad, disable or replace it. Disabling is fine, because you probably don't need it anyway.

i found this for you mobo bios, by the looks of it all beeps that start with 1beep are mobo related (9 out of 10) and the only solution is to get a new mobo.

it anit much but i try to help whenever i can :tazz: