Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

More sound problems

• Please log in to reply

Gillis

Gillis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
For a long time (over a year) now my speakers have not worked. I have been able to live with it as sound has not been that important to me. My son is now using the PC and downloading music so it has become a problem. I have been browsing other topics but none seem quite the same. The audio CD that came with the system is Audio Phantom by AOpen. I have tried the Windows Update link and updated many of the files. Have Norton and Ad-aware but suspect that the problem may still be virus related. I cannot see anything in the Multi-media window that I can tell is out of whack but am willing to try anything. Operating system is 98 SE. Will provide any details - just tell me what to do.

Please someone give me some idea of what to try!

Attached are screen captures of the multimedia windows.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home here

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for multimedia / audio adapter, post the make and model here or get the latest drivers from the manufacturers site

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Check in the bios that audio is enabled.
2: make sure that the speakers are connected correctly to the sockets in the audio card.
3: If you have the original drivers disk try reinstallation of audio.

Gillis

Gillis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have followed Keith's instructions which led me to a webiste called Driverguide Toolkit but if I ran the programme correctly I did discover that I have already the latest drivers for the audio device and the enhanced audio controller. I am open to your own assessment of these efforts.

Further to y.a I will also check the speaker connections and do have the original disk which I tried installing last night. Will run this again to be sure and reply to that afterwards as I will have to restart.

I am just delighted that someone is trying to help!

Scott

Attached Files

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I noticed you have the "show volume control on taskbar" checked. click on that icon to open the mixer window, make sure that all the outputs are not muted, and turned up.
not sure what your using to test the output, I usually use the basic windows event sounds (the preview tab) to make sure sound comes out at all, then can move on to making sure the output is active for a specific application.

also try using headphones plugged into the sound out jack, this helps eliminate any possibility that the speakers are the issue.
if you can hear something in the headphones, then you know the audio is working, and can move to the speakers....
the correct output jack should be colored green, that is the standard color coding, so make sure you are plugged into that jack.

let us know how it goes!

Gillis

Gillis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There was a problem with the jack - it was unplugged! The power was plugged in but not the audio plug. The PC is currently located in a dedicated space in a desk and the back is only accessible by pulling the computer out of this so I could not see it. This is NOT the original problem though so the advice may have helped. The system was moved a few months ago and the problem predates that as the speakers were plugged in until then. I only started trying to get it working in the past week. Something amongst the suggestions worked but I don't know exactly what since the it started working as soon as I plugged it in. What I did notice is that there are two sets of plugs on the back of the CPU. One set for speakers, mic , and something else down at the bottom of the back and another set halfway up the side of the back. I got static noise from the plug being inserted in both but only true audio from the upper one. So, the real problem may be with the old jack (although I think it was more than this as I know I have inserted and reomved the plug before without any noise at all.).

Thanks to you all (Keith, y.a, and audioboy).