Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Tempermental printer...

• Please log in to reply

mamawatta

mamawatta

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
:)
I have a deskjet 697C printer for the past several years. It always worked fine. Somehow all of a sudden it decides it doesn't want to print and I get a error window opop up. Then it decieded to work for 2 days and now its gone again. :tazz:

It takes the paper as if it will print when I ask it, then pop up and the yellow top light blinks. I tried everything, reboot, virus scan, unplugging and plugging lines...nothing is helping!

Any idea?! HELP! :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could try this

http://h30155.www3.hp.com/ediags/gs/

Your printer is a supported product

mamawatta

mamawatta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I pretty much tried everything they could offer me on their website with HP. This is just a mystery to me why all of a sudden my printer doesn't work. The only thing I can think of is during all the virus scans and trying to get rid of Winfix, that is about the tie I had this problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, reboot

mamawatta

mamawatta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Its asking for me for my WIndows XP pack cd 1...i don't have the cd.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use any same version XP CD

mamawatta

mamawatta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Not trying to be a pain here but, all the XP cd's I have are the driver & utilies for reinstalling device drivers...driver & utilites to reinstal data/fax/modem software for MS...and Applications cd tools cd for reinstalling dell installed software.
I tried to enter all of these but it just kept saying wrong cd. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could borrow an XP CD for this

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to remove the printer's driver and reinstall it. It might be damaged.

mamawatta

mamawatta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm a beginner...how do i do that? I'll try ANYTHING at this point. Since HP website was about as helpful as nothing.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My menus are in a foreign language. I'll translate as best as I can. Click start>definitions>printers and faxes. Click once your HP printer. Click file and then choose delete. Confirm removal of the printer.

Click file and choose "add printer". Click "next" when installation wizard shows up. Choose the upper option, local printer, and check automatic installation. The computer will search for your printer and install it automatically. If it doesn't it will open a dialog box in which you should choose LPT1 as a default port. Click next and mark from the two lists the manufacturer of your printer and the model. Click next and in the next box mark whether you want the printer to be your default printer. Click next and choose whether you want to print a page or not. Click next and then Finish. Now the computer will load the driver.

If you don't find your printer in the list then you must have HP printer installation disk or download the driver from HP domain and install it.

mamawatta

mamawatta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I tried what you toold me to do, and it still has a blinking yellow light and won't print. I just don't understand how it worked then all of a sudden it didn't for 2 weeks and then worked for 2 days and then stoopped working again!

Everythig is hooked up fine and I ran a check to see if it was up to date and had connection with computer. Theere must be something that is not allowing it to print.
:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is from HP

NOTE: There may be more than one reason why your printer lights are blinking, so you may see several solutions.

RESUME LIGHT OFF

POWER LIGHT OFF

Problem

The POWER light is off and the printer is not working.

Solutions

Check the power cord or power module connections at both the printer and the power source.

Make sure the printer is connected to an active power source.

Try disconnecting and reconnecting to the power source, or try a different power source.

Make sure there are no additional switches turned off, such as those on a power strip.

Check the power breakers to make sure the power source is active.

If the above steps failed to resolve the issue, click Contact HP at the bottom of this document to find out how to contact a support representative who will review the steps described above, and might assist with servicing the product.

RESUME LIGHT OFF

POWER LIGHT ON

Problem

The printer is not printing and the POWER light is on.

Solution

The printer is ready for you to send it a document to print. Choose the print command from the software that you are using.

RESUME LIGHT OFF

POWER LIGHT BLINKING

Problem

The printer is receiving information from the computer, in the process of printing a document, or finishing with printing a document.

Solutions

Wait for the printer to print your document.

-OR-

If you wait several minutes and the light continues to blink, turn the printer off, then back on. If it will not turn off, unplug the power cord, then plug it back in. Try printing again.

Restart the computer and the printer. Try printing again.

Try another cable.

Try connecting the printer to another computer. If the printer prints, then the problem was with the main computer, possibly a software or device conflict.

If the above steps failed to resolve the issue, click Contact HP at the bottom of this document to find out how to contact a support representative who will review the steps described above, and might assist with servicing the product.

RESUME LIGHT BLINKING

POWER LIGHT ON

Problem

The top cover of the printer is open.

Solution

1. Close the top cover of the printer.

2. Press the RESUME button.

Problem

Printer senses that there is paper being fed.

Solution

1. Press the RESUME button to feed the paper. Continue with the following steps, if the paper does not feed.

2. Turn the printer off.

3. Open the top cover of the printer.

4. Make sure that paper is not jammed in the printer.

5. Lift the right black rectangular paper sensor (located in the middle of the printer just below the silver rod on which the cartridge carriage slides).

6. Make sure that nothing is stuck under the paper sensor (you can blow under the sensor to remove dust).

7. Close the top cover of the printer.

8. Turn the printer on.

9. Try printing again.

Problem

The printer was waiting for you to insert paper and then did not print.

Solution

Press the RESUME button to eject the printed page into the OUT tray.

Problem

Printer does not sense paper in paper tray.

Solution

1. Check to see if there is paper in the paper tray.

2. If there is paper, remove the paper.

3. Make sure that the paper width and paper length adjusters are set for the correct paper size.

4. Load paper in the paper tray.

5. Press the RESUME button.

Problem

The RESUME light blinks when the computer is restarted or turned on.

Solution

This problem may occur when the printer is on before the computer is turned on or restarted. The printer should be turned on after the computer is turned on and turned off before the computer is turned off or shut down. Press the RESUME button to clear the printer and get it to the normal state.

Problem

The printer prints a page with an e in the corner or prints miscellaneous letters or symbols.

Solution

Click here for instructions on resolving this issue.

Problem

Printer detects a faulty, missing, incompatible, or improperly installed print cartridge.

Solution

1. Open the top cover of the printer. The RESUME light will flash until it is closed.

2. Pull the top of the cartridge towards you until the cartridge unsnaps from the cradle.

NOTE: Make sure not to touch the copper-colored contact tape on the back of the print cartridge.

3. Click here to check that you have the correct cartridges .

4. If you have the correct cartridges, then pick up the black cartridge. Notice that it has an arrow on the top.

5. Hold the cartridge so the arrow on the top is pointing towards the printer.

6. Tilt the cartridge slightly towards you.

7. Keep the cartridge tilted slightly towards you as you insert the cartridge into the right cradle.

8. Push the cartridge firmly forward into an upright position. You will hear a click when the cartridge is firmly in place.

9. Pick up the color (called tri-color) cartridge. Notice that it has an arrow on the top.

10. Hold the cartridge so the arrow on the top is pointing towards the printer.

11. Tilt the cartridge slightly towards you.

12. Keep the cartridge tilted slightly towards you then insert the cartridge into the left cradle.

13. Push the cartridge firmly forward into an upright position.

14. Close the lid of the printer.

You will hear the sound of the cartridge cradle as it moves to the right side of the printer.

Problem

The print cartridge contacts are dirty and the printer does not recognize the print cartridge.

Solution

1. Open the top cover of the printer.

2. Remove the print cartridges.

3. Clean the copper-colored contact points on the cartridges with a damp, lint-free cloth. (Distilled water is recommended. Tap water might contain contaminates that could damage the cartridge.)

NOTE: Do not wipe the nozzle end of the cartridge or touch the silver-colored nozzle plate on the bottom of the cartridge.

4. Turn off the printer.

5. Unplug the power cord from the printer.

6. Clean the carriage contacts on the back wall of the ink cartridge carriage with a damp, lint-free cloth.

7. Use a dry, lint-free cloth to remove the moisture from the contacts. If the carriage contacts show noticeable damage, have your printer serviced.

8. Plug in the power cord.

9. Try printing again.

RESUME LIGHT BLINKING ALTERNATELY

POWER LIGHT BLINKING ALTERNATELY

Problem

There is a paper jam in the printer.

Solution

Click here for help fixing the paper jam.

Problem

The cartridge carriage has stalled.

Solution

1. Open the top cover of the printer.

2. Make sure all tape is removed from the print cartridges.

3. Remove any packing materials from the printer.

4. Check for paper jammed in the printer and clear the paper ( click here for help fixing the paper jam ).

5. Unplug the power from the rear of the printer.

6. Completely remove the black and color cartridges.

7. Reconnect the power cable to the back of the printer, close the top cover, and turn the printer on.

8. If the cartridge carriage doesn’t move back and forth across the printer with the ink cartridges removed, the printer needs to be serviced. If the cartridge carriage moves, proceed to step 9.

9. Reinstall the ink cartridges and close the top cover.

10. If cartridge carriage does not move back and forth after the pens are reinserted, check for the following:

Check for obstructions in the carriage path. If necessary, remove any obstructions.

Check for any damage to the ink cartridges. If necessary, replace any damaged cartridges with new cartridges.

Check to see that the cartridges are installed correctly. If necessary, reinstall the ink cartridges.

Problem

The printer and computer are not communicating correctly.

Solution

Cancel the print job from the computer.

Look at the bottom-right corner of your screen. You should see an icon or picture of the printer.

Double-click the icon.

Place your mouse pointer over the name of the document that you are printing.

Click the right mouse button.

Left-click Cancel.

Click the X in the top-right corner of the "Printer" window to close it.

2. Turn the printer off.

3. Turn the printer on.

4. If the lights are still blinking, turn the printer off.

5. Unplug the power cord and printer cable from the printer.

6. Plug the power cord and printer cable into the printer.

7. Turn the printer on.

8. Try printing again.

9. If you cannot print, try printing from a different program.

RESUME LIGHT ON

POWER LIGHT ON

Problem

The printer is not working.

Solution

1. Turn the printer off.

2. Turn the printer on.

3. If you cannot turn the printer off, disconnect the power cable and the parallel printer cable from the back of the printer.

4. Wait about 10 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power and parallel printer cables to the back of the printer.

6. Turn on the printer.

7. Try printing.

Contact HP
If the descriptions on this page do not match the blinking lights on your printer or if you have tried the solution(s) and your lights are still blinking, contact HP for additional suggestions.

NOTE: The light patterns described in this document are also described as flashing or flashing lights. Flash means the same thing as blink in this document. If your lights flash or blink, this is the same symptom.

This is for the printer manual

http://h10025.www1.h...&lang=en&cc=us