Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking two comps thru a switch

• Please log in to reply

hayden_horn

hayden_horn

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello there...I've been perusing online forums on this topic for a bit, but i still have a few questions.

I have a buffalo switching hub. My understanding is that i can run a cable from the dsl modem to this switching hub, plug both computers in, and go. But that's not what happens. I frequently get a message that says the connection has limited or no connectivity. Only one computer is able to surf the internet at a time, and i'd like for both.

I'm running XP on both laptops, and I've run the network setup wizard thing, which doesn't seem to work, because the comps cannot see each other, nor seemingly share the internet connection.

Is my best best to run the ICS? do i need a windows xp disc to get this finished? and will one certain computer always have to be on for the other to surf the internet?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Edited by hayden_horn, 23 August 2005 - 10:36 PM.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
You can install ICS on any computer. this how to may help,

ics setup
Symptoms: after you setup ICS on an XP dial-up connects to the internet, ... This issue can occur if you do not run the ICS Setup wizard after you install ...
http://www.chicagote...et/icssetup.htm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...make sure that the ip address on each machine isn't the same as the other machine.....it sounds more like a dhcp error...with a switch you shouldnt need to use ics

hayden_horn

hayden_horn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the switch may or may not have been smart enough to handle what i was doing, so i took it back and bought a router instead. happily, i'm having the same exact problem. only one computer is able to use the internet. :tazz:

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
is dhcp enabled on the router, maybe your isp only allows one ip at a time, if so , you can set up NAT on your router.