Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad laptop keyboard or VGA board?

• Please log in to reply

elfresco

elfresco

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently replaced the plastics on my Satellite 3005, and after putting it back together it no longer boots if the internal laptop keyboard is plugged in.

The internal keyboard plugs into the VGA board via ribbon cable. The laptop won't post if the internal keyboard is plugged into the board (disks won't spin up, lcd stays dark, no beeps, nothing). Once I disconnect the internal keyboard the laptop will boot fine. I can disconnect the internal keyboard and use an external USB keyboard just fine, but that of course doesn't make for a very portable laptop.

Is this a symptom of a bad keyboard, bad VGA board, or something else?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Sounds like you could have damaged the keyboard ribbon cable or the connector that it plugs in to.
What do you mean by replacing the plastics?

elfresco

elfresco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
plastics = the plastic casing. I basically took the laptop apart, removed it from a broken casing and reassembled it inside the new plastic casing.

I suspect you are right about the ribbon cable, so I purchased a new keyboard for $40 and will try again. Will keep you posted if that works.

elfresco

elfresco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Eureka! Replacing the keyboard worked! :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good, glad to hear you've got it working