Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ICE

• Please log in to reply

Jayzeee

Jayzeee

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Accidents and other medical emergencies happen. If you were the victim of an accident, how would paramedics, police, or other emergency or medical personnel know who they should contact?

That's where ICE comes in.

The ICE concept started in the United Kingdom and has begun spreading to the United States. ICE stands for "In Case of Emergency." Emergency responders are being trained to look for ICE listings in victim's cell phone contact directories to speed notification of the victim's spouse, parent, or other important contact.

Most of us who carry cell phones have dozens, sometimes hundreds of names and numbers stored. but in an emergency, there would be no way for a paramedic to know which of those names is the one to contact if we are incapacitated. That's where ICE comes in.

Simply create an entry named ICE, or several entries named ICE1, ICE 2, etc. with the numbers of those you want contacted, in the order you want them tried. For example, my ICE1 is my home number. My ICE2 is my wife's cell phone. ICE3 and ICE 4 are my son and daughter. If something were to happen to me, the paramedics can look for the ICE listings and in a matter of seconds be in contact with my family.

ICE numbers can even be entered into the speed dial listings of your home phones or, if your home phones don't have number storage, simply write it on a piece of paper and tape it to your phones.

Sounds like a good idea to me :tazz:

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
This was posted a few months ago, and its down a few pages now.

I think its a great idea, thanks for bringing it up again, because I totally forgot to put it in my phone :tazz:

I think it would be cool if the Cell Phone Companies told you something about this when you buy a phone from them.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for posting this! I have never heard of it until now. I'm going to do mine right now before I forget! :tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
If something happens it is unlikely that the people in charge will look into someones mobile phone numbers though here in Switzerland it is the law that one must carry either ones IDcard or passport which normally connects to records such as bloodtype and next of kin. btw, did the UK come round to copying this idea, I know they were talking about it in parliament. Anyway, it gets very much harder to do something bad when one has to carry identification.

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
well i no they have started it in some places but not all of the uk :tazz: