Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Picture in Profile.

• Please log in to reply

jonny nation

jonny nation

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey one and all!

I am trying to get a picture uploaded, so it shows on my profile by my name. Is there anyone out there who could help me out please? I have uploaded a photo, but I do not think th@'s the one. :)

Thanks in advance, Jonny :tazz: :)

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
What are you trying to upload and what are you trying to upload it on

jonny nation

jonny nation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey!
I am trying to upload an animated picture so it shows on the left hand side of my profile where you have the silver car.

Cheers, J :tazz: :)

jonny nation

jonny nation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Have no fear...I have sussed it! I did not know it was called an Avatar.

Jonny :tazz: :)

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
oh thats good as long as you now know :tazz:

jonny nation

jonny nation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nice one...cheers! :) :tazz:

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
What is that?

:tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
btw, why do they call Avatar?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
See Avatar (disambiguation) for other meanings.
In Hinduism, an avatar is the incarnation (bodily manifestation) of an Immortal Being, or of the Ultimate Supreme Being. It derives from the Sanskrit word Avatāra which means "descent" and usually implies a deliberate descent into mortal realms for special purposes. The term is used primarily in Hinduism, for incarnations of Vishnu the Preserver, whom many Hindus worship as God. The Dasavatara (see below) are ten particular "great" incarnations of Vishnu.

Unlike Christianity, and Shaivism, Vaishnavism believes that God takes a special (including human) form whenever there is a decline of righteousness (dharma) and rise of evil. Lord Krishna, an avatar of Vishnu, according to Vaishnavism that is espoused by Ramanuja and Madhva, and God in Gaudiya Vaishnavism, said in the Gita: “For the protection of the good, for destruction of evil, and for the establishment of righteousness, I come into being from age to age.” (Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 4, verse 8.) In any event, all Hindus believe that there is no difference between worship of Vishnu and His avatars as it all leads to Him.

The word has also been used by extension by non-Hindus to refer to the incarnations of God in other religions, notably Christianity, for example Jesus.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
basically translated into: an avatar is an "incarnation" of your online personality...in this instance

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
maybe it's some kind of greek word.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

maybe it's some kind of greek word.

View Post

derives from the Sanskrit word Avatāra

decidedly not greek

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
i always though of avatar as someone sort of killer or murderer sort of like a monster you would typicly see in old horror movies eg...needle face,frankenstein stuff like that