Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just got a new motherboard because my chipset on the other just fried or something. Anyhow, I got everything hooked up on here and have been having all sorts of trouble. I keep trying to format my drive and do a new install, but windows setup freezes whenever it gets to the repair selection screen. I checked the PSU with a multi-meter and I have two video cards, so I know at least one of them works and that's not the problem. I just bought the stick of RAM so I know it's not that. My conclusion is that it is the processor overheating, the new motherboard because it's cheap, or I'm doing something wrong in the BIOS settings. My hardware is all posted in my info thing.

Thanks for your help,

Oh yeah, and I was doing a repair and it froze mid "installing windows settup", so now I can't even get my video card working right. It's in my device manager but says it can't load :tazz:

Edited by thedarkproject, 24 August 2005 - 07:32 AM.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
heat is a possibility....

clean the cd

remove the drive and place in a second PC, remove the partitions, then reinsert in the new PC

use a non-usb mouse and keyboard if possible.

Lower the fsb in bios during the install, lower the memory timing in the bios during setup, too

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
You said you have two video cards, so hopefully you don't have both of them plugged into AGP/PCI slots at the same time while trying to install Windows :tazz: Anyways, I would suggest that when installing xp, remove everything that is in a PCI or AGP slot so as to reduce the amount of items that could be causing the freezing. I would also suggest that you take out the RAM that you bought and blow into the slot on the motherboard where the RAM goes.

As gerryf stated, using a standard ps/2 mouse and keyboard would be better, but check in the bios and make sure that USB support is enabled, because that could be causing the freeze up as well.

Just a couple of things for you to try, hope one of them works :)