Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is a Virtual Directory

• Please log in to reply

MooCow888

MooCow888

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well I found some information on how to setup MS Server 03 so that I can host my own web site, but am still having some issues. I installed the IIS manager like I was supposed to do and went through the wizard. Now when I try to type in the IP address for this site I get the following error: Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

What am I doing wrong??

The article that I followed is located at: http://www.windowsne...ndows-2003.html

Thanks Ken

Advertisements

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
To answer your topic question, A virtual directory is a server for a directory protocol such as LDAP, but unlike a traditional directory server, does notmaster the data itself in its own database. Instead a virtual directory will dynamically translate requests it receives to operationsin other protocols or data models, such as to a relational database. In contrast to most metadirectory technologies, virtual directory implementations typically offer a simpler administration model, and may be more appropriate to environments.

timinator

timinator

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
To "FreddieKrugerGuy", I very much doubt that your response answered the question; LDAP isn't relevant for the IIS administration problem that was mentioned.

To "MooCow888", if you really want to allow the directory to be listed, change the properties of the Home Directory to allow "Directory Browsing" (if you're not sure where that option is, take a look at the first screenshot in the "Controlling Access to a Web Site" section of the web page that you mentioned; it's a checkbox in the middle portion of that configuration page).

However, it is generally better to add a default document instead of enabling directory browsing. To do that, go to the Documents tab and verify what default documents are listed. You might just need to create a "defaut.htm" file in the appropriate location.

timinator

timinator

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Oops, there was a typo in that reply - the filename was supposed to be "default.htm".

MooCow888

MooCow888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
timinator thanks for the help, I will give that a shot this weekend when I am off of work.

Thanks Ken

MooCow888

MooCow888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well I had time today after work to go through and do what you said, but it still does not allow me to type in the IP address and get to my site. I already had my index.htm file where the default.htm file is located. So what am I still doing wrong. I went through the article so many times now and still can't figure this out. I got server 03 so that I could host my own web site myself, but so far its not working :tazz: Any more help would be great.

Thanks Ken

timinator

timinator

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
If you can't get to the site at all then verify that the IP address is correct. Note that Internet access with some ISP's uses a dynamic IP address that changes on a regular basis. For exampe, if the TCP/IP properties of the network connection in Windows has the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option selected, than you won't be able to use your current IP address for web hosting. Check the properties of your network connection and/or check with your ISP regarding web hosting and IP addresses.

In the short term, to verify whether your IIS configuration is correct, simply use "localhost" instead of a specific IP address in the URL; the name "localhost" is the same as IP address 127.0.0.1 and always refers to the local computer.