Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temporary Internet files

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I know that to clear/delete Temporary Internet files from your computer you need to open up IE, click on the Tools menu, click on Internet Options, and then click on Delete files.

However, I am unaware of the difference between normally clicking "OK" at this point, or checking the box that says "Delete all offline content" and then pressing "OK."

What is Offline content and what is Online content?

Also, what is the difference between Temporary Internet files and Cookies... as you have to do separate things to delete both of them...

Thank you for your time...

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Offline content is the content that is stored if a page is set to be made available offline.
You can set a page to be Available offline, by adding it to Favorites, and enabling the "Make availabe offline" option.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
So, if you do not check the box that says "Delete all offline content," then certain files will still be available to view (offline files)? And also, what kinds of files are set up to be offline content as default?

Therefore, would you recommend to check the "Delete all offline content" box when clearing Temporary Internet files? I ask because the McAfee help center stated to check the box in order to ensure Privacy Protection.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i never set up any offline files...but i always check that just to be sure....if there isn't anything for it to delete....then it won;t make a difference

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you both very much for the info...

One more question if I may: Exactly what are cookies on the computer and how could these be Security/Privacy threats as well as Temporary Internet files?

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Cookies are samll partions of information stored in your computer, So it will make it easy for you to look them back up again! And it could be a threat as your personal information like passwords, internet activity and so on could be recorded and hackers might like to get their hands on it!

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you all for your help and the information...