Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Protection Programs

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
:tazz: Want to consider protection programs against ads, spyware, bugs, malware etc. but there are so many out there plus one I tried seemed to interfer with my Outlook Express program re MSN techs.

I have PC-cillin antivirus program, MSN Antispyware and am trying Adaware. Have been told that Qurb, Hi Jack This, I Hate Spam are other programs I should consider installing since a single program cannot do everything.

So when is too much - too much? And is there anyway to check before hand with someone, some program as to whether these programs will conflict with anything?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
for the truly paranoid (er, safety conscious) user

Two antivirus programs, but make sure only ONE is memory resident (I am unsure if pc-cillin has a memory resident componant)

Three malware detection programs, with only one memory resident, so in your case MSAntispy (has memory resident componant), Adaware (no mem resident componant installed ) and Spybot Search and Destroy (do not install memory resident portion during setup--the default is NOT to install).

One firewall in addition to windowsxp built in program

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thank you so much for your information - it is a big help. Then I take it you are not necessarily recommending an email protection program which I understand Quarb to be or the HiJackThis program plus what you just suggested?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hijackthis is a great program for disabling programs that run at startup, but it is not a "protection" program.

It is a tool to fix a problem, and is potentially dangerous if used improperly.

For email protection, define protection. A good, memory resident AV program will protect you against emails loaded with worms/trojans/etc. As noted, I am not familiar with pc-cillin.

If it is memory resident and protects email, then you are covered.

If you meant SPAM filtering, that is a separate issue. You mentioned a problem with outlook and a conflict...this often occurs when you have an av program and spam filter applied because they both achieve their goals using the same method (usually)...ex: they will insert themselves into the communication chain between your email server and your email program.

A big problem here is that they both insert themselves (often) in the same way, breaking the chain and rendering email from a pop server difficult.

You usually have to alter the configuration files manually to get them to work nice together.

If you get 1 or 3 spams a day, it may not be worth it to monkey with it. If you get 100+ a day, then it probably is.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Just now getting around to seeing your reply post; school semester starter so have been busy. Again thanks for your clear answers and help. Did not realize HiJackThis was as you say. I just disable startup programs through the run-msconfig feature. And since HiJack could potentially be dangerous and is not a protection program don't need more headaches.

Have since heard that PC-cillin is memory resident and does scan ALL emails so not broken ' why fix it'.

I seldom get spam - so again not broken why fix it.

So will carry on and keep learning. Again thanks for your help.