Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HD Raid 5 question

• Please log in to reply

ssalter

ssalter

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am going to be getting a new server and have not worked with "raid." i will have a raid 5 with 3x73GB drives, 2x3GB processors and 4 GB RAM, OS is Server 03' Standard. I am wondering, after i set up active directory, TS, will i be viewing all 3 drives?and if so where do i install my data? It is my understanding that the config is set to opperate so as if one drive fails the other 2 take over the load. what if I have data on all three drives (my idea is that if I have data on all drives then I will be letting the sys use all drives to access it) I use RDP and have 70 users with 14 data bases right now so the read write to the drive is pretty high, (current config is a single drive partitioned, 3GB Processor, 2 GB RAM Server 03' Standard).this is the reason i want to split the data. if I do loose a drive and have written data to it, do I loose it? or is it just constantly moving within all the drives?

thanks for any info.

Edited by ssalter, 24 August 2005 - 11:56 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As far as i know raid 5 is the raid stiped mirror combo, this means that two drives operate as striped drives then the spare drive holds data checks etc for the data to make it easier to reconstitute the data on the drives. If data integrity is important then you might want to try mirroring.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
raid 5 is striping with parity which basically will mean that you will see one 73 gb drive...because the striping goes across all drives . and the parity is stored on one of the three drives (the parity usually alternates between the 3 drives...that way you don't have to worry about the parity drive dying....hopefully)

edited because for whatever reason i forgot that 5 doesnt do mirroring

Edited by dsenette, 24 August 2005 - 12:38 PM.

ssalter

ssalter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
alright im a little lost. my understanding was the 3/73GB drives will = 150 GB is this not correct? and i understand that the parity config will be transfering from drive to drive for continuity and the only down fall would be if the drive that was holding the pairity info were to die while it had the info on it? or does it just cycle the info, like updating constantly for the 3 drives? from one to the other with the new updated info?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, when i was reading my manual and the raid 5 section said two drives are used as striped drives giving you your one big one and then the other drive will be used for the parity storage. This will make the horrible thing of the collapse of a striped array easier to fix and recover your data where the data would be traditionally be lost in a plain stiped array.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
.....i could be wrong about the drive size.....(mirroring may be the one that obfuscates the true size now that i'm thinking about it) and i believe that when it writes the parity....it writes it to a different disk each time...so whatever the parity interval is (don't know if it's each time data is changed.....which would make sense) that's how often it will switch the location of the parity...so basically on each of the three drives you would have little sections of data then parity then data then parity then data..and what not

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
right scot...but the thing it doesn't mention is that the parity does not get saved to the same drive every time..because then the parity would be useless if that is the drive that dies...

ssalter

ssalter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
good deal guys! thanks for the quick answers! this has been one great site with great info and help! i just needed those answers so i would understand what i am working with better. i still am wondering about the "view" though, will I see all drives?
Cheers,

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
to even use raid i believe the drives have to be dynamic...so you will see them how y ou configure them....usually suggested to do once partition as c: just for the os and another as D; for everything else...because if you are wanting to save stuff individually to each of the three drives...then it defeats the purpose of raid

ssalter

ssalter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
got it, so i set up the partition, C: side D: side and then the info will be "spread as needed on the drives?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
like butter

ssalter

ssalter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts