Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot up even in safe mode, can't reinstall

• Please log in to reply

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
in safe mode or normal if you can:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

then start the computer in normal mode instead of restarting it should give you an error write it down then post back and let us know :tazz:

Advertisements

moxie47

moxie47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks, PastaBoy, but unfortunately I reinstalled before I read your message. I am now pondering whether to buy a motherboard or a new PC.

moxie47

moxie47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
To gerryf -- I decided to get in on Dell's back-to-school sale. For $450 I was able to get a PC roughly the same as the one I have, CD/RW drive and modem, plus a combination color printer/scanner/fax and a 17" monitor (but not flat-panel), which is not bad. My monitor is really old, so this may work out well. I read up a little on how to build your own and it would be quite a learning curve for me.

Thanks again for your excellent help. I will make a donation either to you and the other helpers or to the site, whichever is appropriate.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if this will work, but if you can, try and set the frequency of your RAM to it's lowest setting, my computer used to give me the blue screen of death and reboot sporadically until I set the ram from 400Mhz to 333Mhz, depending on how old or new your system might be your memory might range from 66MHz to 533Mhz, just pick the lowest value, save changes and see if that works. Oops forgot to mention that you change your RAM frequency in the bios but be very careful and don't change change any other settings, remember change your RAM frequency not the CPUs.

I hope this helps instead of hinders

Edited by fungit, 02 September 2005 - 04:12 PM.

moxie47

moxie47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks, fungit, but I have looked and looked, and I don't think it's possible to change the RAM frequency on my PC. I have already bought another one, so this one is toast, but I appreciate the offer of help.