Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP is a trouble maker

• Please log in to reply

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Long, long problems. Ok, here we go.

I tried to reinstall XP, but it wouldn't reinstall. So now everytime I start XP, i have to choose XP Pro setup or XP Pro.

On internet sites with uploaded video, WMP doesn't show up. I get sound, but no video.

WMP video runs video A LOT slower now, too.

Whenever I install my nVIDIA drivers, I have to restart my computer (duh), but when I do, I lose traces that the drivers were installed. My computer knows I have a video card, but won't run it right. So, I can't use OpenGL programs.

I have a Plug and Play, ViewSonic G90f. Whenever I install those drivers, whenI have to restart, I lose all changes.

Also, when I try to update to SP2, it says 'Cannot copy file revert.wmz'. But when I reinstall WMP 10, it says it has indeed extracted it.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you considered doing a clean install?
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

Johanna

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I don't have a floppy drivw or anothe HD, where can i backup to, and will windows back it up automatically. I would prefer to just save some programs, and start completely new.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
What I usually do is save the install cds for programs, and burn my "download" folder to cd. Then, after I wipe the harddrive, I just reinstall the software. XP will not make auto back ups of your data and programs.

Johanna

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Sounds like WMP 10 may be a culprit in your system....To test this out you can take out WMP from Control panel/add remove programs/add remove windows components and unclick WMP and let windows update your database...reboot and see if any better.

HTH

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Yardguard made a good WMP suggestion. I am trying to think of why your drivers aren't "sticking", and I am wondering if you would describe exactly how you've been installing them. Do the devices work w/o the installed drivers?

Johanna

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
No, all the settings of my video card, get lost and i don't get OpenGL for games and all games immediately shut down. And my monitor ripples constantly.

After restart, the settings dont stay. I have latest drivers for both.

Edit: I can't get into add/remove windows componenets.

Edited by The Colonel, 24 August 2005 - 04:15 PM.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
You can't get into add/remove windows components?....You got problems...J/k

How about you try to create a new user and make the new user an administrator and logon to the new user just to see if that makes a difference.

I'm just making simple suggestions as to try and find out the premise of your problem.

Incidently if the suggestion by Czarina about burning your files to cd and starting new is a viable alternative then I believe I would choose that.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I'm going to try your solution unless you can help me with Czarinas.

Can you name a good zip program that can compress to very small, because i only have like eight 700 MB CD-RWs.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
What are you gonna burn that would take more than 8 700mb cds....Photos?..Music?.....?

Anyway I would try the user suggestion first.

Advertisements

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
if your intending to burn everything on your computer to disk thats not very clever, becuse you may but wat ever was upsetting your computer back on.:tazz:

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Im just intending to burn the movies, music, steam, firefox, and winRAR

so do u kno a good compress program

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
XP has one built in. Right click a file and choose send to "compressed".

Johanna

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the absolute best archiver/zipper program for COMPRESSION is winuha

http://www.klaimsoft.com/winuha/

It will compress files more than any other, though it is SLOWER then most.

THe UHA compression format is not compatible with other programs, though

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys!

I ran into a very similar problem problem a while back and the resolution was to set the Operating System as default which stops the setup program trying to open with it. If only I could remember where I found that option. :tazz: I think it may have been on the startup screen that lists the OS and the Setup options. Next time, read everything on that startup screen carefully...see if it's there.

I found it!! :)

Click Start then Control Panel and double click System. Click on the Advanced tab, choose Startup and Recovery and click Settings . Under System Startup in the "Default operating system list", click the operating system you want to start when you turn on or restart your computer. Then Select the display list of operating systems for check box, and type the number of seconds you want the list displayed before the default operating system starts automatically.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 August 2005 - 06:59 PM.