Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

simple problem

• Please log in to reply

The_Big_G

The_Big_G

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
ok i have xp home on my system all updates and all that. i used partition magic and merged a partition with my primary partition. i have bartpm and can get in to look at stuff. under diskpart it has my c: drive as primary and boot which it should be but it won't boot. just goes to a black screen and i have a flashing curser. no error messages or anything like that. i looked in my boot.ini file and it has something in there about the operating system being windows xp recovery console. what should be in my boot.ini and if i fix that should my system boot normally again?

thanks for your response

the_big_g

Greg

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Windows xp recovery console entry in your boot.ini means you installed the Recovery Console.
But that should'nt remove the normal Windows Xp entry from Boot.ini
And black screen with cursor (where you can type) is the Windows Recovery Console.
But if you are fully sure that the normal entry for Windows Xp in boot.ini is gone, type the commands below in the Recovery Console:
  • Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
    (where C: is the partition where XP was installed)
  • DEL C:\Boot.ini
  • BootCfg /Rebuild
  • Fixboot

Edited by darth_ash, 24 August 2005 - 04:02 PM.

The_Big_G

The_Big_G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
thanks for the quick reply. i will see if it works either tomorrow night or friday