Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Windows Installer Service could not be accesse

• Please log in to reply

U_D

U_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
GRAAH! It is still happening. I greatly apreciate this help.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Whats still happening, the Windows Update problem, or the Windows Installer problem?

U_D

U_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Whats still happening, the Windows Update problem, or the Windows Installer problem?

View Post

The installer problem.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Found another M$-KB article on this issue, refer:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324516.

On that page, Follow the steps in Method 1, only

U_D

U_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Man, I really need to get this fixed. Windows installer service could not be accessed. I keep getting it.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Found one more M$-KB article:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;315353.

If that does'nt work, goto the M$-kb article in my previous post and follow Method3 this time. Pls. make sure that you use setup file for Windows Insatller 3.1 which I asked you to get in Post#15, and not the one in the M$-KB article, they have given a link to an older version.

Kerrysl

Kerrysl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having a similar problem on Win2K. I have found that while the startup type is set to manual that the server is stopped. So in the Services control app, I started the Windows Installer service and then my .msi programs worked.

Is it the case that clicking on a .msi is supposed to start the Installer service or is it supposed to be started at startup?

U_D

U_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I am having a similar problem on Win2K. I have found that while the startup type is set to manual that the server is stopped. So in the Services control app, I started the Windows Installer service and then my .msi programs worked.

Is it the case that clicking on a .msi is supposed to start the Installer service or is it supposed to be started at startup?

View Post

wha?

Oh, it's still not working... :tazz: I am doing exactly what it says... anymore ideas? thanks a ton.

and now, It's urgent, I need to install flash 8.

Edited by U_D, 14 September 2005 - 01:38 PM.

U_D

U_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
HURRAH! I've found my windows reinstall cd, and repaired my computer, It's working now. Thanks a TON for all of your help.

Kerrysl

Kerrysl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Update on my problem. While starting the Installer service worked for .msi programs my Installshield programs would not install.

I tried a repair install of Win2K. In case you want to try this and don't know how; insert Win Cd and boot PC. When prompted to install or repair, choose install. On the next screen it will check for partitions and ask you to select partition if you have multi-partions. Choose the one with your Windows install (usually C: but could be otherwise). It will then prompt to Repair or Overwrite. At this stage choose Repair. This will leave all your settings in place (read registry) but update any corrupted files.

However, as said this did not work for me. Instead I have now done a format of Win2K partition and done a clean install. I have update with SP4 and then applied all later updates. Checked installer service at each step and all is working fine.

One new issue I had was that new user accounts I created could not be logged in because it couldn't copy the default user profile to the new user. After some research I got around this problem by manually copying the default profile files into the new user folder and then by doing a 'chkdsk /f' which scheduled a scan at the next boot. After this re-boot, my new user account worked if it was the first to login. Logging in as admin and then logging out and then trying the new account did not work. I needed to do a new boot scan. Once the profiles worked first time, then that account has been fine ever since. I needed to do this with both of the user accounts I created. I have never seen that kind of problem before.

The other problem that arose was that the Windows install blew away my GRUB boot loader used for dual booting into Linux. Having seen that before, I just needed to search for the commands to fix it, which wasn't easy considering at that point I was effectly blocked out of both my OS installs. Found a magazine with the Q&A and found my needed commands;
grub
grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0) This re-inserts the boot loader.

I now had a boot menu back, but then Win2K failed with "NTLDR not found" Been there before and I had copies of NTLDR, boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM on my C: drive. (I use D: drive for Win2K). So just a copy of the files From C: to D: which was possible because my Win2K would boot if I had the CD in the drive. Normally the CD in the drive causes the Install sequence to run, but if you don't press a key and let it run through to GRUB and then select Windows it instead finds the require boot files on the CD and boots into your installed OS. I hadn't realised this before. Once the required files where in the D: drive it worked fine to boot normally without the CD in the drive.

Anyway all is good to go now, and I am progressively adding programs back into my Windows accounts.

PS. I thought learning Linux was difficult, until I run into issues like this in Windows that require a complete OS install. Having all of my user data on a separate partition to the Win2K OS, and all of me email in Linux, makes formating the Win2K partition not as scary as it would be, if all of my data was there as well.

Advertisements

creepingdeath2

creepingdeath2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I believe that I know the problem that causes this and the solution .. Do you use Ad-Aware? if not similiar programs may have blocked the .net framework from correctly installing as it did on my puter.. So all i did was turn off my ad aware and firewall etc. and reinstalled .. works fine.. hope that helped.. I had EXACT same problem..