Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia Riva Tnt2

• Please log in to reply

mikapel

mikapel

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone! I'm Mike, From Belgium and new on this forum. Hope I'll get the information I need!..

I hzve an Nvidia riva Tnt2 M64 graphic card. I'd like to know wether or not there is a sound card integrated in it, (because I could'nt see any soundcard on my motherboard or at least I don't think so.. lol), and if there is one, how many Mo could it be?

Or can it be integrated into my motherboard??

Thanx a lot!

Mike.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hello mike, welcome to GTG!

the old riva tnt cards, I still have one those in use today.
no video card will have any type of audio, the are dedicated to display duties only. if you dont have a seperate audio card that you can see in you system, them chances are good that your motherboard (mobo) has an integrated audio chip.
to be sure, use everest home. run the program, it will give you all the information you could want about your PC. under the audio description will be a listing of device, info on it, etc. if you post that info back here, I can help you with configuration, etc. if you would like.
if you dont see anything listed for audio, please post your mobo make/model #, and we can check if there is onboard audio, etc.

any questions, please ask!

mikapel

mikapel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Audioboy! :tazz:

First of all, thank you very much for your reply and for these explanations. I downloaded the progrram you advised me, and had it scan my entire computer. Christ! I didn't Know there were so many things in this small iron box!!

Well, there is a dedscription of the mobo saying: integrated elements: Audio. So I guess I got the answer to my question!! :) What I still don't know is the quality of this untegrated audio element! 16 Mo? 32?
Can I Add an audio card to boost performances?

The report also tells me I should add physical memory, but I only use 54% of it... So, maybe it is not properly configured..?

I also only use 27% of "Swap space", and 33% of Windows virtual memory (don't know what it is but shouldn't I be able to use my system at the best of its performances?

And last but not least, can I improve my CPU Efficiency?

I send you a copy of the report, hoping I don't ask too much!!

Thank you very much beforehand Mike

Attached Files

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hey mike,
had a look over the report- the french threw me for a sec ( I got a D in french class, heh), but no worries.
you have the VIA AC97 integrated audio. should work fine, for basic pc use and gaming. if you want to go for higher end sound (surround, etc) an upgrade card would be in order. is the sound not working currently?

for the rest of the system, overall its looks like a pretty happy box, decent components, etc. it sounds like you are having some slowdowns, and that would be from the hard drive. the report showed it to be almost full, 15% free. that would definitely slow things down....
I would suggest runninCleanup!, a free tool that will get rid of cookies, temp files, all kinds of garbage that gets left on the system.
if you have any passwords for web sites on your PC (the auto-login thing), make sure you know what they are, as the cookies will be zapped. I reccomend against using auto logins anyway.

after running cleanup, defragment the hard drive. this should also help with performance. post back with how much space gets freed up, I am always curious to know....

do you do any type of gaming or multimedia stuff? you have an older version of directX (8.1) installed. upgrading to 9.0c would help with that stuff.

let me know how things go, if you have any questions, etc.