Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CWS, Trojans and Keylogger havin' a party [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
ruthy...RegSeeker is set up to automatically create backups by default. If you left that option checked, then lets' do this:

Open RegSeeker. on the left you will see a button called "Backups". Click that, and restore EVERYTHING in there. :tazz: Then reboot and let me know if your files are back, etc.

Advertisements

ruthyntrouble

ruthyntrouble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Oh KAT! LMAO! Guess I was a lot more tired than I thought. I didn't look closely or I would have seen that the "backup" icon showed a pic of a floppy! In my lame mind I thought it was making a back-up copy in its program.

My terrible screw-up and I take the blame. No Problem!

Ruthy

ruthyntrouble

ruthyntrouble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well, I opened the RegSeeker but the back-up file has 0 bytes. But went to control panel and clicked on User Accounts and it shows a back-up of my Admin Account...1.4 gigabytes. I don't know how to return the darned thing where it belongs though.

Evertime I ran RegSeeker and rebooted(7X), I had to re-download the program again. Did it wipe it from the system each time?? Don't know but that is what I had to do.

Don't forget you are working with a NON-geek with limited abilities on the computer :tazz:).

Tell me what to do and where to look and I will. RIght now I am perusing C.

Ruthy

P.S.

I have been online all day and for some reason it takes hour(s) for your replies to show on the forum. I log-out and back in constantly hoping that will help. Not!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

But went to control panel and clicked on User Accounts and it shows a back-up of my Admin Account...1.4 gigabytes. 

View Post

Hi Ruthy. Can you give me a little more info on this? I went into my CP and into my User accounts, and found nothing like a backup. It would even be more helpful if you could open the Control Panel to where it shows the icon/shortcut for the backup, and take a screen shot and post it for us. To take a screen shot, while the screen is open you want, click on CTRL and Print Screen buttons at the same time and hold them down for a second or two. Then go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint. In Paint, click on "Edit" then choose "Paste from" and paste the screen shot in. Save it in your documents folder as a jpg image, and then add it here in a reply.

ruthyntrouble

ruthyntrouble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok Here is the screenshot...it was in system folder that I found it not CP....

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot.JPG

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Ruthy. Open that back up, and then single click on the RM_TCHR\Ruth 1.4 gb backup one. Then click "Change type" but DONT actually do anything. Take a screen shot for me of whatever comes up when you click that and post it here, ok??

ruthyntrouble

ruthyntrouble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok. Here it is!

Attached Thumbnails

• scrsh_II.JPG

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Ok Ruthy. We *may* have found a way to fix this, ok?? I want you to print these instructions out, and try this. It won't HARM anything, so no panicking there, ok? :tazz: Worst case scenario is that it won't work. Best case is, of course..that it WORKS! :)

Go to THIS ARTICLE Scroll down past System Restore to where it says Copying Your User Profile

Following those instructions carefully *should* create you a new Admin. account and copy all of your data from the old one!! Let me know how it goes when you get it done! Then we'll work on getting that dang keylogger GONE!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello again, Ruthy!! :tazz: A good friend gave me another link for you to help you in creating the new user account. Check this page out HERE

Thanks, Frank :)

ruthyntrouble

ruthyntrouble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
OK did the copying profiles both ways...

OMGoodness the second one you posted from Microsoft was SIMPLE and much easier.

This is the problem I am having ...even though all files are copied to my new profile when I log off they are GONE. The windows logon said several days ago that ALL changes I do using the temporary profile WILL BE LOST when I logoff.

It's right! Nothing stays put when I log off....

I am reluctant to delete my "backed-up" profile as this is the admin...I may not be able to get back into my computer?!?

Ok where do we go from here...HELP!

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi Ruthy! I'm following orders here! :tazz: I honestly don't know, myself. The two Experts helping me on this are neither one on now. Hopefully, Bobbi will be logging on in a few hours. If so, I'll grab him right away. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until Atri is up tomorrow! :) We'll get back to you as fast as possible, I promise!!

ruthyntrouble

ruthyntrouble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok. Will Keep checking in the forum until I pass-out from lack of sleep :tazz:

Thanks a bunch
Ruthy

Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The Computer Whisperer

• Expert
  • 3,761 posts
  • MVP
Hi Ruth,

Can you login as Administrator on your computer? This is vital for what you want to do... If so, do the following... I've tested this out on a test computer at home, and it worked there.

Log in as Administrator and click "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "User Accounts". Cretae a new account, and give it a name you can live with. If you don't like it you can always change it later. After naming click "Create Account".

Once the account is created, log off. Log into the new account. Don't do anything else. Just login. Now, all folder structures and files will be created that are default for users. When it's done (it shouldn't take long), log off again and log in as Administrator.

Open Windows explorer and click "Tools" -> "Folder Options" -> "View". Click "Show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files check box". Click OK.
Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\the account you want copied. Select all files and folder apart from the three starting with "NtUser". From "Edit" choose "Copy" and navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\New Username. Click "Edit" ->"Paste".

Log off and log in as the new user. Did this go okay?

ruthyntrouble

ruthyntrouble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi Bobbi!

No, I can't log in as admin. I actually had 2 admin accounts set up. One, I just had the basics set-up for just this type of emergency. I can't get into either one of them. The only thing I CAN LOG-ON WITH IS THIS TEMPORARY ONE.

I have set-up 4 different accounts with admin status but each time I log off and back on all changes are erased. The admin account is still there but if I copy files to the account they are wiped clean with each log-off.

My concern is...if I delete my origional admin account I may be totally locked out of my computer. I have the permanent password set. I am not sure about changing that and if it would do any good???.....

RIght now I am just ready to throw it(account) away if I could be sure of no lock-out if I deleted my origional account. :tazz:

Thanks so much all for trying to help!

Ruthy

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi Ruthy. There aren't many more things we can try, I dont think. I don't know what Bobbi may or may not have come up with at this point, but I will grab him tonight if he logs on. As I said before (I think) he's in Amsterdam, so his hours are "odd" for us! :tazz: I know with it being Sunday morning over there, he may have plans or something. As soon as I see him next, I"ll talk to him.
I am crossing everything I have that we don't have to wipe your hdd clean. :) If so, at least we know you can copy everything over to a 'new' account...long enough to be able to save what files you need to disc before losing it on a reboot again. DONT panic on me yet, though. I know that Bobbi and the others will do everything they can think of to prevent this happening. But with you not being able to log in on the Admin account, I'm not sure how much more there IS that can be done. :)