Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Codec problem.

• Please log in to reply

Jkloosterman

Jkloosterman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've tried looking for all sorts of codecs, but I can't get my machine to display Video properly in Windows Media or the Yahoo player...

Here's a Sherlock Codec help...any help from anyone is appreciated...

Attached File  Codecs.txt   38.68KB   364 downloads

TIA

JayK

Advertisements

igd93

igd93

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
You've got broken codecs and you've got some odd 3rd party codecs that may be interfering with the ones you need. If you have Gspot(if not, GET IT!) run that on the files in question and it will tell you if the correct codec is installed and if not give you an idea which codec you do need. Avoid "all in one" packs like NIMO, Tsunami, Angelpotion etc as they contain codecs that were(in some cases) hacked together and contain odd bits of code that can(but not necessarily WILL) result in a/v problems that require entire clean O/S reinstalls.
Another question is"Will any other apps play the file(WinAmp. Irfanview, etc)? And just to repeat what you've doubtless already heard: Update the audio/video/chipset/sound device drivers.

Jkloosterman

Jkloosterman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes...Quicktime and winamp work fine...But windows media doesn't...
but I had already updated everything else..

JayK

Edited by Jkloosterman, 25 August 2005 - 06:29 AM.

igd93

igd93

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Quicktime will play this movie? Does it have the file extension ".mov"? If so, its a Quicktime file and W.M.P. won't play it nohow. Winamp can playit only because it must have the right plugin installed.