Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro Remote Desktop [resolved]

• Please log in to reply

tangent

tangent

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have my Notebook and Desktop Pcs networked threw a gateway and have xp home on the notebook and xp pro on the desktop. I ran the Remote desktop program but when I try to link up, it tells me the Desktop is not connected but the networking seems to work fine. All the settings appair to be in order to me, but what do I know... Why is this happening and how do I fix this?

Thanking you in advance. Tangent.

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Tangent

You might want to check out this link, http://www.microsoft...emoteintro.mspx everything you need to know about setting up the Remote Desktop features and some troubleshooting steps.

Without knowing how everything has been setup, IP Addys, Workgroups, yadda, yadda, it is a little difficult in pinpointing exactly what might be wrong in your setup. Hope some of this helps.

tangent

tangent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thumbsup.gif Hey thanks for your repply. You know I been threw all the steps a few times but since you brought it up I tried again and it worked this time. That set up is pretty nice to have.

helpsmilie.gif One more Question for you... Is there a way to set it up so that the host computer dosn't log off while in remote use? As to say; if some else is on the host at the same time and could share control or sutch as remote help. That would be really cool...!

Thanks again. Tangent.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Tangent

Sorry, but remote desktop is configured for only one person at a time, you can change a couple of settings to allow a couple more users to connect, I think up to 2, to the host cp if both are running XP Pro. The host cp does lock up when someone is connected remotely, this is more of a security feature, you would not want me sitting in your office watching you monitor to see what you are doing. blushing.gif

Remote assistance is slightly different, the person asking for the assistance still has to allow you to take control of their cp, if they click no, you are disconnected and the only way to reconnect is for the person to send another invitation.

I think what you are looking for is Terminal Services, which will allow more than one user to connect, have someone else logged onto the cp and working, but it does involve setting up servers, and licensing for Terminal Services.

You can check out this link, frequently asked questions about Remote Desktop. http://www.microsoft...lity/rdfaq.mspx

tangent

tangent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks Spank Me! You have been a great help.