Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Here's a Good One

• Please log in to reply

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I have a HD that comes up in my comps bios (HP presario) but will not boot or allow an OS to be setup on it.
After setup begins a message comes up saying that no HD can be detected. like I said, it shows up on BIOS.
I've tried the jumpers in every concievable setting witht the same result????

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
That's because the hard drive has not been initialized yet. some computers are picky that way. what you need to do is run the software on the cd or floppy that came with the hard drive, or you need to download and install the hard drive utility for your specific hard drive manufacturer.

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Also check the jumpers and see what it's set on. Some presarios only like the 'Cable Select' option, which I despise myself.

nestorey

nestorey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
thanks for the quick reply...
the HD is actually one i've used in the past numerous times on numerous machines. is it possible it may need to be initialized again?
already tried the CS as well as every other one...

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Is the hard drive empty? aka is it formatted or does it have an old OS on it like windows 98 or something. If its a hard drive formatted in fat, then that could be a problem. But I really can't say for sure since I have never come across that problem which didn't get resolved with my previous ideas.

I still say that you should use the hard drive utility from the hard drives manufacturer and completely zero out the machine.

Another thing you could try, is do you have an old windows 98 or 2000 cd laying around? If so try sticking those in and see if the setup for those OS's recognizes the hard drive.

nestorey

nestorey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I'll try the initialization. the drive was running W2K before...

thanks a lot for the help. even if it doesn't work i learned something really important to know!

i'll let you know how it goes...