Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with my IP address

• Please log in to reply

nyy147

nyy147

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer is hooked up through a wireless router. We have cable internet and my computer is the computer not directly connected to the internet. One day my computer suddenly stopped connectign to the internet. When i looked at the ip address it started with 169.254 and i tried re booting the computers and modems. the ip address on the workign computer is 192.168.10.3 I tried renewing the ip address also. I even bought a new networkign card so that i could try hooking the modem directly to my computer and that did not work either. I even reinstalled windows xp which did not solve my problem. It says that i am gettgin excellent signal strength. Although it also says i have limited or no connectivity. When i try to manually configure the ip address to a 192.168.xx.xx it says that i am connected but it will still not allow me to browse and websites. I have tried calling dell, Motorola (Manufacturer of my router), and comcast. No one seems to be able to fix it. I am stumped. One day it just stoped working. Id really appreciate some help from anyone who has any suggestions. Thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Some questions that might point you in the right direction. Have you gone to the setup page of your router? What is the IP range the router assigns? What is the IP range Comcast allows? Have you checked the TCP/IP protocol settings for your LAN? You may have one machine set for WAN and the other set for LAN.

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
you sead you tried to manualy set up the IP address to 192.168.xx.xx
when you did this did you set the DNS addresses as well?
to finde out you DNS you can either look:
1. on the information given to you from your ISP
2. by phoning your ISP
3. mabie looking on the other computer if it has it set up
4. on the router settings will have it in their

post back let me know have a cuple of other sujjestions too

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Some questions that might point you in the right direction. Have you gone to the setup page of your router? What is the IP range the router assigns? What is the IP range Comcast allows? Have you checked the TCP/IP protocol settings for your LAN? You may have one machine set for WAN and the other set for LAN.

View Post

I did not go to the setup page of my router. I do not exactly know what you mean by that either. I dont knwo what the IP range is although i know the IP of the workign computer is 192.168.10.1. And im not sure it one is set to WAN and the other LAN hwo do you check that? Thanks alot.

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

you sead you tried to manualy set up the IP address to 192.168.xx.xx
when you did this did you set the DNS addresses as well?
to finde out you DNS you can either look:
1. on the information given to you from your ISP
2. by phoning your ISP
3. mabie looking on the other computer if it has it set up
4. on the router settings will have it in their

post back let me know have a cuple of other sujjestions too

View Post

I tried manually configuring the ip again and it said i was connected to the network but i could not browse the internet. I also checked the DNS server on the workign computer and put that in when i manually configured it. That didnt work either. Its really frustrating.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'd suggest that look in your router booklet to find how to enter the setup page. On many routers it's http://192.168.1.1, but by no means all.

You can just click that link to see if it works.

You have to use the computer that's not on wireless to enter it.

Edited by Tyger, 24 August 2005 - 09:50 PM.

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It asked me for a username and password and i dont recal evr havign one.

Edited by nyy147, 24 August 2005 - 10:23 PM.

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Well most routers I've logged into have passwords with the following combinations:

Usernames:
Admin
Administrator

Passwords:
*blank* (As in leave it blank)
admin

If none of these combinations work, google. It has to be your routers default password, because you reset it :tazz:

Edited by Scooped, 24 August 2005 - 10:02 PM.

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I got onto the page. Where shoudl i go from here?

Edited by nyy147, 24 August 2005 - 10:23 PM.

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
do you know enything about the Router Make Model it would probly help to know because they all have different interfaces

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I got onto the page. Where shoudl i go from here?

View Post

Well the first thing is explore everything that is there. There will be a main page and several link pages plus some help topics, faqs, etc.. The router is actually what connects to the internet, then it routs the information to and from the clients (computers) and you will need to check it from time to time when you have a problem.

nyy147

nyy147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It is a motorola WR850G wireless router. We bought it abotu a year ago this time. Im not sure what else I can tell you but thats what the make and model are.

Edited by nyy147, 25 August 2005 - 08:39 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
1. Click Start, click Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right-click the connection with an overlaid yellow symbol and click Properties.

3. Click on the "General" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click Properties.

4. Click on the "Alternative Configuration" tab, select the "User configured" radio box.

5. Type 192.168.0.2 in the "IP Address" field.

6. Type 255.255.255.0 in the "Subnet mask" field.

7. Click OK twice.

Johanna

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Czarina: not sure but you said to type 192.168.0.2
but if her router address is 192.168.1.1 shouldint her IP be at least 192.168.1.2
she should also look in her routers Statisticks page and it showld show you the DNS ip addresses to set up make sure those # match