Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hijacked Desktop [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

nkidu

nkidu

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Please help. I'm having a difficult time getting this malware off my computer. I've ran AVG, Adaware and my Hijackthis logs show items that I can't seem to get rid of. I've tried following the instructions on the previous posts but honestly became lost.

On my desktop I'm getting the following:"you're visiting illegal [bleep] sites. FBI knows everything about you right now. All information is logged. Click here to protect yourself urgently before it's too late. Your IP logged. Security risk level - high. Your're beeing (sic) watched and all your acts are tracked. Your life is in danger! Click here to stop the threat (link to www.cleanprivacy.info/adv=1648&sub=hp1). Download free track removal.

I disabled the Active Desktop for this item so it doesn't show up on my desktop but when I try to delete it, the item comes back and my desktop changes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:57:59 PM, on 8/24/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hidserv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Warez P2P Client\warez.exe
C:\Program Files\Warez P2P Speed Up Pro\Warez P2P Speed Up Pro.exe
C:\Program Files\palmOne\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Downloads\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\securitysuite.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [847ff372b95] C:\WINDOWS\System32\847ff372b95.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [warez] "C:\Program Files\Warez P2P Client\warez.exe" -h
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Warez P2P Speed Up Pro] C:\Program Files\Warez P2P Speed Up Pro\Warez P2P Speed Up Pro.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [847ff372b95] C:\WINDOWS\System32\847ff372b95.exe
O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\palmOne\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O23 - Service: WindowInstallSystem (847ff372b95svr) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\847ff372b95.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega Active Disk (_IOMEGA_ACTIVE_DISK_SERVICE_) - Iomega Corporation - C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo. My name is Kat, and I will be helping you! :tazz:

First of all, I HIGHLY recommend you UNINSTALL the Warez P2P program. This is the reason you got so very badly infected. This program is loaded with Spyware/Viruses. When we have you cleaned up, I can give you a link to an article that outlines CLEAN P2P programs.

Have you run the Ewido scan yet? Did it find and remove anything? If you would, please follow these directions to re-run Ewido for me:

• Install ewido security suite
  • Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.
  • The program will now go to the main screen
You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the left hand side of the main screen click update
  • Then click on Start Update
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.
ewido manual updates

Once the updates are installed do the following:
  • Reboot into SAFE MODE . Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer begins to boot up. You will be taken to a screen where you can use your keyboard "arrow" keys to move the cursor and highlight "Safe Mode", then click the "enter" button.
  • Once in Safe Mode, you are going to run Ewido as follows. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you do not "multi task" while Ewido runs. Please do not open/run ANYTHING else during the scan...this includes all files, programs, folders, games, etc. ONLY have Ewido running.
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
    • You will need to step through the process of cleaning files one-by-one.
    • If ewido detects a file you KNOW to be legitimate, select none as the action.
    • DO NOT select "Perform action on all infections"
    • If you are unsure of any entry found select none for now.
  • Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report.
  • Save the report .txt file to your desktop.
Now close ewido security suite.

Reboot normally, and post a fresh HijackThis log, along with a copy of the report from the Ewido scan and we'll get you cleaned up!

nkidu

nkidu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
---------------------------------------------------------
ewido security suite - Scan report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on: 11:49:07 PM, 8/24/2005
+ Report-Checksum: D204FE0E

+ Scan result:

No infected objects found.

::Report End

Scan saved at 11:56:44 PM, on 8/24/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Downloads\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Warez P2P Speed Up Pro] C:\Program Files\Warez P2P Speed Up Pro\Warez P2P Speed Up Pro.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O23 - Service: WindowInstallSystem (847ff372b95svr) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\847ff372b95.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega App Services - Iomega Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
O23 - Service: Iomega Active Disk (_IOMEGA_ACTIVE_DISK_SERVICE_) - Iomega Corporation - C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Disable a bad running service:
  • Go to Start | Run
  • Then type services.msc
  • This will lauch a new window, scroll down on the list and search for (WindowInstallSystem) or (847ff372b95svr)
  • Right click on this entry and select stop
  • Now right click and select properties, you will get new box with tabs.
    In the General Tab, look for Start Up Type: in the drop down box select Disabled
  • Click Apply then OK and close out of the console.
Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Reboot into safe mode.

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Please delete these files using Windows Explorer(if present):
C:\WINDOWS\System32\847ff372b95.exe

Deleting an NT service:
  • Reboot into SafeMode and do the following:
  • Open HJT and click the "Open misc tools" section. Then click "Delete an NT service". In the text box paste or type 847ff372b95svr and click OK. Then let the machine reboot!
After that, Reboot.

Please post a fresh HijackThis log here for review and let me know how things are running. :tazz:

nkidu

nkidu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The instructions you gave me didn't work. I tried it but the files under services.msc were not there, nor could I delete the NT file from hijack in safemode. I did scan with hijackthis in safemode and removed those files but as you can see the following file is still there:

However the popups have ceased, I can regain my homepage and my desktop. I'm including my hijacklog as instructed.

Scan saved at 8:53:18 AM, on 8/25/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\palmOne\HOTSYNC.EXE

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Log is looking MUCH better now! :tazz: We need to get rid of that nasty 023 service though, so it doesn't cause you problems in the future.
  • Click Start>Run, type cmd into the Open editbox and click the Ok button.
  • Highlight the line below and press the Ctrl key and the C key at the same time to copy the test to the clipboard:
    sc stop 847ff372b95svr
  • Click on the menu icon in the left-hand corner of the title bar of the Command Prompt window and click the Edit menu and then click on the Paste item.
  • The command should now be inserted into the command prompt line. Press the Enter key.
  • follow the same steps to put this line in as well:
    sc delete 847ff372b95svr
  • Close the Command Prompt window
Reboot the computer, and give me a fresh HJT log please :)

nkidu

nkidu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I truly appreciate all that you're doing however I failed to mention that I'm running Windows 2000, and not Windows XP, so the commands you gave me to run under the command prompt gives me the following error:

'sc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Is there a command similiar for Windows 2000?

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I am sorry about that. :tazz: Please forgive me for giving you instructions that will not work. I'd say a good 99% of the machines I work on are XP, and I sometimes forget certain things don't work for 2k. :)

However...I'm actually GLAD this didn't work. I was talking to one of our Experts who make the fixes, and he would like a copy of that file if you would be so kind. Seems this is something quite new. He has worked up a file to fix it for us, but he would like you to use WinZip (or similar), create a new zip file and navigate to the file: C:\WINDOWS\847ff372b95.exe *Note..you may have to re-show hidden files and folders to find it*. Zip the file, and then attach it to an email to submit [at] atribune.org

Once you have done that, please run the following that Atribune was awesome enough to make for us to get this cleaned up :)

Download this bat file here
Save it to your desktop and unzip it.
Double click to run fix.bat and let it take care of that nasty for you.

Please then run another HJT log, and let me take a look if you will!

Thanks!! :)

nkidu

nkidu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'd really like to be able to send that file over to you but I searched for the C:\WINDOWS\847ff372b95.exe on my hard drive (I did unhide all files already) and still couldn't find this file.

If there is another suggestion on how to get this file over to you, and especially on how to find it, I would appreciate the suggestion. Otherwise I'll wait on your response before running this fix you sent me as I would hate for you guys to miss out on learning about some "new annoyance that just suck the living life out of its next unsuspecting victim". :tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello again. You may not be able to find the file. If you look at your original log, it was showing as an 04 (running process) along with the 023 entry (service). We killed the 04 entry and the file with it, which is most likely why you can't find it now.
Atri said to go ahead and run the fix, then post a fresh HJT log! :tazz:

nkidu

nkidu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Looks like that puppy has gone bye-bye! Thanks for all your help Kat! :tazz:

Scan saved at 9:52:26 PM, on 8/25/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:) Thank Atribune for that fix, not me! :ph34r: I just posted his instructions for the remover he made for you. :tazz: :)

Everything still running good I take it?

Congratulations! Your log is now clean! :)

Here are some items that you will want to add to your to-do list:

These are some tips to reduce the potential for Spyware/Adware/Virus infection in the future:
I would strongly recommend reviewing and installing the following applications if you dont currently have them running on your system:

Use Anti-Virus Software
It is very important that your computer has Anti-Virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.
See this link for a listing of some online and stand-alone Anti-Virus programs:
Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

Update your AntiVirus Software
It is imperitive that you update your Anti-Virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your Anti-Virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

Use a Firewall
I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:
Understanding and Using Firewalls

Spyware/Adware Detection and Removal Programs:
Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and DialersAd-Aware SEIf you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to setup and use Ad-Aware SE
How to use Ad-Aware SE to remove Spyware
[/list]Spybot S&DIf you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to setup and use Spybot S&D
How to use Spybot to remove Spyware
[/list]I strongly recommend using both of these programs to catch most spyware/adware

Prevention Programs:
  • SpywareBlaster -- SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • SpywareGuard -- SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • IE/Spyad -- IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts File -- The MVPS Hosts File replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
  • Google Toolbar -- Get the free Google Toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other Necessary Programs:
  • A More Secure Browser
    Internet Explorer is not the most secure and best browser.
    There are safer and better alternatives available. I recommend using Firefox
Be sure to also keep up with Windows and IE updates.

Windows Security and Critical Updates
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Internet Explorer Security and Critical Updates
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp

And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Update all these Programs Regularly:Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released. Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.