Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Uninstalled SP2 and it has messed me all up

• Please log in to reply

mryan815

mryan815

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I uninstalled SP2 because it had never fully installed and was causing problems. once my computer re booted after i uninstalled all my icons on the desktop are huge, i get messages like "the ATI Control Panel Failed to initialize..." I cant log onto the internet. I dont know what to do. I tried to roll my computer back and that didnt work. Please help.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mryan815...Welcome to G2G!

Click "Start" then "Run",..type chkdsk /f /r (Note the spaces before the /) and press "Enter"...Type Y to confirm for next boot...press "Enter" and reboot.

Let us know how it goes.

wannabe1

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
During the uninstall of SP2 there are a few warnings about things not working correctly if SP2 is removed

If you have the software CD's for ATI, soundcard and most other things, you will be as quick to remove and re-install the drivers for everything which has stopped running properly

Not connecting with IE might be a change from always dial default to never dial a connection

You could click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, reboot

You could try installing SP2 again, if it does not install, post the errors you get

Dustyguzzi

Dustyguzzi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
How about if you have two versions of messenger, and you want to get rid of the older one, cause they both try and sign in at the same time. And the older one always signs on first.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The ATI control panel is part of your video adapter software, you're video drivers are missing/corrupted, that is why your icons are oversized.