Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unrecognised hard drive

• Please log in to reply

akenside

akenside

• Pip
  • 5 posts
on start up the computer goes through the normal boot sequence and says at the end the drive is there but cant be accessed
in the bios it shows no drive in the slot 0 (single 251Gb drive) but during boot up the details of the drive are shown and then it just goes to black screen with flashing curser.
MESH suggested a complete restore from the disk provided but the disk says the HD cannot be accessed and gives a bsd with a 0x00000050 page fault message indicating a problem with setupdd.sys
prior to this we had a faulty graphics card (256MB invidia 6600) which I sent for repair replace and am still awaiting BTW) and replaced it with 128 invidia 440 from his older computer (also MESH).
I would try swapping the HD to test the rest of the system but the new one has a strange(to me)thin cable connection and I'm not sure if this is compatible with his old one
I know my son was looking for software to convert MP4 to AVI and dont know if he has downloaded something which has caused this problem.
computer is MESH P4 processor3.2GHz, 1G memory, 250G HD, NO FLOPPY DRIVE.
any help appreciated
if I could make a boot cd it might help
TIA

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that thin cable is probably a SATA connection...if you don't know if you MOBO has SATA on it...then look for little connectors near the ide controllers that look like the end of the SATA cable.....on the current drive in question (250 gb drive) how do you have the jumpers set?

akenside

akenside

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I called mesh and they have asked that the base unit be sent back for repair under warranty so I'm going to do that. luckily we havent sold the old computer yet, my son will use that for now.
Thanks anyway. I can now concentrate on my other problem on my other compter, how many can one family have? As many as you can't get rid of.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you already started a post for the other computer or are those issues easier?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

....I can now concentrate on my other problem on my other compter, how many can one family have? As many as you can't get rid of.

View Post

problems or computers?

Problems? Infintite

Computers? One for each person, plus a server, plus a test machine, in my case

akenside

akenside

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
four desktops and a laptop, with multiple problems on all the ones run by my teenage son.
it started about 11 days ago with a noisy fan on my sons 6 month old mesh, nvidia graphics card fan. simple, whip it out, send it to mesh for a quick test and then replacement. BUT, " we're waiting for replacement to be delivered" when? " don't know" so put the 128 graphics card from old computer into new computer then 4 days on the Hard drive gives up, win xp recovery disk wont see the HD, so we now put MY 2nd string computer in his room 2 days on its got spysherrif and thats the other problem I'm trying to sort. its posted in the malware removal forum.
luckiy we've put the 128card back in HIS old computer, another mesh so were down to one each (+ my laptop) till I get rid of the sherrif. I'm now trying to find out how to use the recovery disk to repair win xp. its not quite straightforward is it.
happy days
regards

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think you may want to password protect all the machines and not give the password to you virus...er um...son...he sorta sounds like my mom with computers.....can break them simply by walking into the room